Birds are having a great ole feed

countrybumpkinz, Jun 30, 12:19am
Wanted to do more baking today but it seems that is a mission in it's self. I have made 2 loaves of bread (even the birds are having issues with these, a no fail chocolate cake (failed), two batches of ginger nuts (one batch is okay). So much for topping up the baking tins.

kaddiew, Jun 30, 12:25am
Turn the bread into dry breadcrumbs - freeze the chocolate cake and use later for truffles - whizz the gingernuts and freeze/use later for cheescake base!

beaker59, Jun 30, 12:35am
Or just make a cheesecake for the birds.

muppet65, Jun 30, 12:44am
awwww ...which no fail recipe did you use

ange164, Jun 30, 12:50am
I hate when that happens. Never mind the wasted time - the wasted ingredients really annoy me. You have my sympathies.

countrybumpkinz, Jun 30, 1:28am
The time, the dishes and yes ingredients but I have a million and one sparrows happily feeding so I guess all is not lost.

countrybumpkinz, Jun 30, 1:31am
This is the chocolate cake one I made.....

Mine is known by the family as the: Pure Heaven Chocolate Cake. And you simply cannot mess it up - unless you over mix it. (Just stir briefly).

1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda.
Stir together, make a well in the centre and add:
1 tablespoon cider vinegar (actually any vinegar is fine)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup oil
1 cup cold water (add instant coffee if you want a more adult flavour).

Stir, pour into tin and bake in moderate oven for 20 mins or so.

Its moist, dark, rich and very nice. Not sickly. For kids lunches I sprinkle on icing sugar, but otherwise I put a chocolate ganache on it - and for extra special occasions I split it through the middle and put a layer of ganache in there too.

norse_westie (133 )1:20 pm, Wed 29 Jun #8

kinna54, Jun 30, 4:31am
For your bread and I guess some of the other recipes as well: check your measures, there are so many different cup measures etc around. With some of the kitchen stuff being imported there's so much differnece in measures these days.
Also was brassed off at geting a bad batch of sugar, sound silly but it just would not dissolve. It was only after reading someone else's comment on here that I realised!
I had a daylike yours the other week, when the "kitchen gods" were against me, even burnt my new oven glove which really brassed me off!
Nice to know the birds didn't go hungry!

countrybumpkinz, Jul 1, 12:19am
Wanted to do more baking today but it seems that is a mission in it's self. I have made 2 loaves of bread (even the birds are having issues with these, a no fail chocolate cake (failed), two batches of ginger nuts (one batch is okay). So much for topping up the baking tins.

countrybumpkinz, Jul 1, 1:31am
This is the chocolate cake one I made.

Mine is known by the family as the: Pure Heaven Chocolate Cake. And you simply cannot mess it up - unless you over mix it. (Just stir briefly).

1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda.
Stir together, make a well in the centre and add:
1 tablespoon cider vinegar (actually any vinegar is fine)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup oil
1 cup cold water (add instant coffee if you want a more adult flavour).

Stir, pour into tin and bake in moderate oven for 20 mins or so.

Its moist, dark, rich and very nice. Not sickly. For kids lunches I sprinkle on icing sugar, but otherwise I put a chocolate ganache on it - and for extra special occasions I split it through the middle and put a layer of ganache in there too.

norse_westie (133 )1:20 pm, Wed 29 Jun #8

kinna54, Jul 1, 4:31am
For your bread and I guess some of the other recipes as well: check your measures, there are so many different cup measures etc around. With some of the kitchen stuff being imported there's so much differnece in measures these days.
Also was brassed off at geting a bad batch of sugar, sound silly but it just would not dissolve. It was only after reading someone else's comment on here that I realised!
I had a daylike yours the other week, when the "kitchen gods" were against me, even burnt my new oven glove which really brassed me off!
Nice to know the birds didn't go hungry!