What am i doing wrong??

me-vs-devil, Jun 18, 10:32am
everytime i bake a banana cake the top always splits and the top rises but the middle rises more.i always follow the recipe and set the oven right and even had it set like 10-20degrees below the temp it says in the book

benjamena, Jun 18, 10:36am
Drop the pan before you put it in the oven and make sure the banana is old. Hand mix the flour in.

elliehen, Jun 18, 10:37am
Press a hollow in the middle of the batter before you put it in the oven.

jessie981, Jun 18, 10:38am
Mmm. I use Edmonds recipe & don't have any trouble. Sure it's not your oven settings that need attention? Cracking is usually caused from oven being too hot.

me-vs-devil, Jun 18, 10:39am
yea im useing those floopy plastic cake tin tinggys sorry cant think of the name yet yea ive tryed the cold bananas and i hand fold the flour in

me-vs-devil, Jun 18, 10:40am
yep ive been using the edmonds recipe

wheelz, Jun 18, 10:40am
Here are several reasons that a cake will crack on top:

1. The oven is too hot. Have the oven calibrated. If all your cakes and muffins come out with a cracked top and bake faster than the recipe says it should, your oven may be too hot. Reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees F and try again!
2. You’ve added too much flour. Flour should be measured in nested measuring cups, not a glass measuring cup. Stir the flour to loosen it, then spoon it into a measuring cup. Level it off with the flat side of a knife. Never “knuck” (bang) the cup or the flour will settle and you’ll end up adding too much!
3. Batter is over-mixed. Once you add the flour, mix the batter only just until it disappears.
4. You don’t have enough liquid in your batter. Use a glass measuring cup to measure liquids and check the amount at eye level.
5. Baking pans are too dark so cake bakes too quickly, causing the top to set before the cake has finished rising.
6. Cake pan is too close to the top of the oven so the top sets and forms a crust before the cake has finished rising. Always place your cake pan on a middle or slightly lower rack so that the top of the cake is in the middle of the oven.

me-vs-devil, Jun 18, 10:43am
thanks landlord getting sparky in hopefully next week anyway to look at other things that wrong with oven/elements so mr 3 has to go without a birthday cake tomorrow bugger.ive only just moved into this new house couple weeks ago

buzzy110, Jun 18, 1:36pm
Low and slow rather than hot and fast is the best way to prevent rising in the middle.

Another cause could be the size of your tin. For many years I used to make a fantastic chocolate cake in a square ceramic 'tin' till I broke it. It always came out perfect. When I used a round tin, no matter what I did, it rose and split in the middle. Making hollows in the centre didn't work btw. I had to use a slightly bigger tin and lower the temperature slightly and cook for longer.

jarrod261, Jun 19, 1:55am
Doesn't sugar play a part in that problem aswel?

books4nz, Jun 19, 7:38am
There is a reason that you've all missed!

It's designed so that once the cake has cooled, the top can be cut off to level the surface, and the cook gets the part cut off - place in a pudding bowl and add a little milk or cream, or icecream - and - voila! banana pudding!

kinna54, Jun 19, 9:06am
Agree I use Edmonds as well, never fail, definitely agree cracking is thru oven too hot, or overcooking. Centre should be quite moist (only just past sticky) when tested with a skewer. You're not fan baking are you? Could also be the problem. What sort of tin,(I always go for round ensures even cooking)and are you greasing and paper lining bottom and sides.? Also bump the pan gently and level the mix before placing in the oven. Ensure mix is well folded, and bicarb and milk react and froth well.

buzzy110, Jun 19, 9:08am
Lol. We should call the raised part "the cook's treat" and purposely try and produce it with every cake we bake. I bet then it will never happen and your cake will always come out perfectly flat and uniform!

kinna54, Jun 19, 9:15am
Poor master three without his cake. Can you not cut off the top, slice the rest of the cake thru the centre and layer it up like a sponge with whipped cream or butter icing? Could still be salvageable?

motorbo, Jun 19, 9:16am
im impressed good fun advice

jessie981, Jun 19, 10:38am
Mmm. I use Edmonds recipe & don't have any trouble. Sure it's not your oven settings that need attention! Cracking is usually caused from oven being too hot.

jarrod261, Jun 20, 1:55am
Doesn't sugar play a part in that problem aswel!

books4nz, Jun 20, 7:38am
There is a reason that you've all missed!

It's designed so that once the cake has cooled, the top can be cut off to level the surface, and the cook gets the part cut off - place in a pudding bowl and add a little milk or cream, or icecream - and - voila! banana pudding!

kinna54, Jun 20, 9:06am
Agree I use Edmonds as well, never fail, definitely agree cracking is thru oven too hot, or overcooking. Centre should be quite moist (only just past sticky) when tested with a skewer. You're not fan baking are you! Could also be the problem. What sort of tin,(I always go for round ensures even cooking)and are you greasing and paper lining bottom and sides.! Also bump the pan gently and level the mix before placing in the oven. Ensure mix is well folded, and bicarb and milk react and froth well.

kinna54, Jun 20, 9:15am
Poor master three without his cake. Can you not cut off the top, slice the rest of the cake thru the centre and layer it up like a sponge with whipped cream or butter icing! Could still be salvageable!