Polenta

falconhell2002, Jun 20, 1:43am
i have a recipe that calls for polenta.In brackets it says corn meal.I have been to the 1 supermarket that our lil town has and they dont sell polenta.I have cornmeal in the cupboard from making cornbread.Is this the same thing or not?The recipe say to bring 3 cups of milk and some butter to a moderate heat sprinkle polenta over the milk and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 mins.Stir in Parmesan and then spread in a pan.Cool for 20 mins. Then you cut into shapes and put on top of a mince dish and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven.

donnabeth, Jun 20, 1:56am
I used the same cornmeal that I made cornbread from. I think it was a 'medium' grind. The polenta cakes I made had an OK flavour, but the texture was rubbery and sticky. I'm not sure what they are meant to be like, but have stuck to couscous ever since.

rainrain1, Jun 20, 2:05am
I can't take to it at all, I don't how people can eat it really......it's funny stuff

antoniab, Jun 20, 2:07am
Yeah we tried it last week and wernt massive fans either - recipe called for mozarella (sp) added to it and it was like savory porridge slop!

rainrain1, Jun 20, 2:13am
Does that make us non dedicated followers of food fashion then?

falconhell2002, Jun 20, 3:05am
LOL dosent sound very nice.But I have a very fussy eater and im hoping that she will eat this if I cut the polenta into fun shapes.We can always take ours off!The recipe looks like the polenta is firm, it sits on top of the mince dish.

wildflower, Jun 20, 3:24am
Yep cornmeal is polenta.

horizons_, Jun 20, 3:44am
But ground differently/finer so cooks thru when prepared. Its fine prepared as above and does make a good base for toppings. Often make it up and cook it on the bbq.

falconhell2002, Jun 21, 1:43am
i have a recipe that calls for polenta.In brackets it says corn meal.I have been to the 1 supermarket that our lil town has and they dont sell polenta.I have cornmeal in the cupboard from making cornbread.Is this the same thing or not!The recipe say to bring 3 cups of milk and some butter to a moderate heat sprinkle polenta over the milk and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 mins.Stir in Parmesan and then spread in a pan.Cool for 20 mins. Then you cut into shapes and put on top of a mince dish and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven.

donnabeth, Jun 21, 1:56am
I used the same cornmeal that I made cornbread from. I think it was a 'medium' grind. The polenta cakes I made had an OK flavour, but the texture was rubbery and sticky. I'm not sure what they are meant to be like, but have stuck to couscous ever since.

rainrain1, Jun 21, 2:05am
I can't take to it at all, I don't how people can eat it really.it's funny stuff

rainrain1, Jun 21, 2:13am
Does that make us non dedicated followers of food fashion then!