Robman7

pickles7, Jun 20, 11:21am
I made your Worcestershire sauce recipe on the Tue 31 May.
It was sweet . NOW it is superb.
Thanks heaps for the recipe.

robman7, Worcestershire sauce recipe

5 cups malt vinegar,
1kg treacle,
2 teaspoons salt,
3cm piece green ginger finely chopped,
4 cloves garlic finely chopped ,
2 tablespoons ground cloves,
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil and cook gently uncovered for 20 minutes.
Cover and let it stand overnight.
Next day strain and bottle, ready for use immediately but shake bottle before using.

robman7, Jun 21, 7:32am
Glad you like it, I think the recipe came from Digby Law's Pickle & Chutney Cookbook, so credit to him. I now need to make some more, did you reduce the amount oftreacle or double the recipe with the same quantity of treacle. I would be interested to know ,I'm always keen to improve on things.

pickles7, Jun 21, 8:44am
No, just made it as it was written. I like to give a new recipe a fare chance. I wouldn't alter it at all. It taught me , treacle, is not as sweet as molasses. The other recipe has just got sweeter.
I have several books. Digby Law's, is not one of them. I "you tube" anything I want to know now. A Lot of recipe's are needing to be revamped as our ingredients get stretched out. Everything you buy these days has been weakened.

"you need to make your own vinegar". That is one product I will never buy again.

robman7, Jun 21, 9:18am
Okay,I had thought that the sauce maybe a little sweet, but it is a good one and so simple, everyone in the family likes it.Shop stuff doesn't cut it any more these days. Digby Law's Pickle & Chutney Cookbook has some reallynice recipes, its worth looking at. Making vinegar is something I have never thought about so I may look in to that.

robman7, Jun 22, 7:32am
Glad you like it, I think the recipe came from Digby Law's Pickle & Chutney Cookbook, so credit to him. I now need to make some more, did you reduce the amount oftreacle or double the recipe with the same quantity of treacle. I would be interested to know ,I'm always keen to improve on things.

pickles7, Jun 22, 8:44am
No, just made it as it was written. I like to give a new recipe a fare chance. I wouldn't alter it at all. It taught me , treacle, is not as sweet as molasses. The other recipe has just got sweeter.
I have several books. Digby Law's, is not one of them. I "you tube" anything I want to know now. A Lot of recipe's are needing to be revamped as our ingredients get stretched out. Everything you buy these days has been weakened.

"you need to make your own vinegar". That is one product I will never buy again.

robman7, Jun 22, 9:18am
Okay,I had thought that the sauce maybe a little sweet, but it is a good one and so simple, everyone in the family likes it.Shop stuff doesn't cut it any more these days. Digby Law's Pickle & Chutney Cookbook has some reallynice recipes, its worth looking at. Making vinegar is something I have never thought about so I may look in to that.