Foods for energy

t.gypsy, Jun 21, 10:20pm
I am starting work on Monday. And this will be a mixture of morning,noon and nightshift depending on how the roster is done. Now what sort of foods should I eat to provide me the energy I know about the fruits and veges. If I am on nightshift what could I eat at the end of it that won't keep me up and make me take ages to fall asleep

pog_mo_thoin, Jun 22, 12:06am
morning : porridge with a chopped banana ... i'm like a monkey on speed until about 2pm
afternoon : beans on wholegrain toast ...as long as your not sharing a confined space with other staffers ..
evening : no idea .... i eat dinner and sleep

cgvl, Jun 22, 12:27am
I did years of night shift try to keep to a regular pattern for sleep (hard when phone rings or people come visit).
I ate breakfast when I got home after a night shift, then in bed by 9am. any later and you will get your second wind and will find it hard to settle and sleep.
I usually slept until around 5 or 6pm, got up and had dinner (was lucky someone else cooked). I found I didn't really feel like food in the middle of the night but always had fruit and crackers and cheese with me.
Some people have a few hours sleep, then get up and go back in early evening for a few more. The only time I did this I slept through the alarm, fortunately a fellow worker rang me so although late I did make it.

t.gypsy, Jun 22, 12:31am
cool thanks for the tips. With the job i am going into there may be ocassions where the night and morning shifts will be back to back. I am going into a waitressing job on a rotational roster..

bedazzledjewels, Jun 22, 1:11am
Try to have protein at each meal - eggs, meat, fish, chicken - and keep processed, packaged foods to a minimum.
And plan a week's menus in advance. Maybe freeze small single portion meals that you can m'wave.

t.gypsy, Jun 22, 10:20pm
I am starting work on Monday. And this will be a mixture of morning,noon and nightshift depending on how the roster is done. Now what sort of foods should I eat to provide me the energy I know about the fruits and veges. If I am on nightshift what could I eat at the end of it that won't keep me up and make me take ages to fall asleep

pog_mo_thoin, Jun 23, 12:06am
morning : porridge with a chopped banana . i'm like a monkey on speed until about 2pm
afternoon : beans on wholegrain toast .as long as your not sharing a confined space with other staffers .
evening : no idea . i eat dinner and sleep

cgvl, Jun 23, 12:27am
I did years of night shift try to keep to a regular pattern for sleep (hard when phone rings or people come visit).
I ate breakfast when I got home after a night shift, then in bed by 9am. any later and you will get your second wind and will find it hard to settle and sleep.
I usually slept until around 5 or 6pm, got up and had dinner (was lucky someone else cooked). I found I didn't really feel like food in the middle of the night but always had fruit and crackers and cheese with me.
Some people have a few hours sleep, then get up and go back in early evening for a few more. The only time I did this I slept through the alarm, fortunately a fellow worker rang me so although late I did make it.

t.gypsy, Jun 23, 12:31am
cool thanks for the tips. With the job i am going into there may be ocassions where the night and morning shifts will be back to back. I am going into a waitressing job on a rotational roster.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 23, 1:11am
Try to have protein at each meal - eggs, meat, fish, chicken - and keep processed, packaged foods to a minimum.
And plan a week's menus in advance. Maybe freeze small single portion meals that you can m'wave.