What is the aniseed/licorice taste you sometimes

beebs, Jun 23, 1:12am
get in mixed salad greens, fennel?

buzzy110, Jun 23, 1:24am
Fennel leaves are feathery and go mushy really fast and are therefore probably unsuitable for inclusion in mixed salad leaves. I haven't bought any for absolutely yonks but I'm sure they also do not put in sliced up fennel root either. The flavour may come from the rocket leaves.

Have you tried tasting each individual leaf to isolate which one has the flavour you are asking about?

beebs, Jun 23, 1:26am
we have tried, the taste pops up occassionaly in a favourite restaurant dish we sometimes eat, and we cant work out what it might be, coriander maybe???I just thought one of the wise and wonderful might know on here, it is not something i have struck (yet) in the mixed salad leaves bags i have brought from countdown

beebs, Jun 23, 1:27am
and its definitely leafy, but as alot of it is 'baby greens' it may just be a small something else

frances1266, Jun 23, 1:28am
Finely sliced fennel is often used in salads and has a lovely refreshing taste.

wheelz, Jun 23, 1:32am
I adore fennel in salads, this one is divine !!
Fennel, Apple, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad
From Tina Duncan - White Tie Catering, Christchurch
Serves 6
2 fennel bulbs, finely sliced
100g mung bean sprouts
1 large red onion, sliced
50g roasted shelled pistachios
2 Braeburn apples, cored and sliced
50g pecorino, shaved
100g rocket leaves
In a large bowl combine sliced fennel, bean sprouts, onion, and pistachios. Add apple and thoroughly toss through dressing and layer onto a salad platter with pecorino and rocket. Serve immediately.
Great served with pork schnitzel or pork chops.
Citrus Dressing
50ml lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon grainy mustard
salt and pepper to taste
150ml extra virgin olive oil
Combine lemon juice, honey, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk together. Add oil and whisk to combine.

indy95, Jun 23, 1:40am
That sounds very tasty, wheelz.

245sam, Jun 23, 1:47am
Chervil?
We have occasionally bought a salad mix labelled 'With Herbs' and I think, from memory, that the list of ingredients actually includes chervil.

Hope that helps.:-))

wheelz, Jun 23, 1:57am
245sam wrote:
Chervil?
We have occasionally bought a salad mix labelled 'With Herbs' and I think, from memory, that the list of ingredients actually includes chervil.

OP said it was a restaurant salad, so more likely something they add, rather than a store bought salad.

kinna54, Jun 23, 2:32am
chicory? Certain lettuce types have a chicory flavour, especially in baby green form.

lythande1, Jun 23, 3:27am
heaps of herbs have an aniseed flavour.
fennel itself.
Dill.
caraway.
Cicely
Hyssop
korean mint
tarragon

beebs, Jun 23, 3:33am
thanks, i didnt realise! Its a real power hit flavour.....and we just wondered what it was, thats all, thanks

beebs, Jun 24, 1:12am
get in mixed salad greens, fennel!

beebs, Jun 24, 1:26am
we have tried, the taste pops up occassionaly in a favourite restaurant dish we sometimes eat, and we cant work out what it might be, coriander maybe!I just thought one of the wise and wonderful might know on here, it is not something i have struck (yet) in the mixed salad leaves bags i have brought from countdown

beebs, Jun 24, 1:27am
and its definitely leafy, but as alot of it is 'baby greens' it may just be a small something else

wheelz, Jun 24, 1:32am
I adore fennel in salads, this one is divine !
Fennel, Apple, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad
From Tina Duncan - White Tie Catering, Christchurch
Serves 6
2 fennel bulbs, finely sliced
100g mung bean sprouts
1 large red onion, sliced
50g roasted shelled pistachios
2 Braeburn apples, cored and sliced
50g pecorino, shaved
100g rocket leaves
In a large bowl combine sliced fennel, bean sprouts, onion, and pistachios. Add apple and thoroughly toss through dressing and layer onto a salad platter with pecorino and rocket. Serve immediately.
Great served with pork schnitzel or pork chops.
Citrus Dressing
50ml lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon grainy mustard
salt and pepper to taste
150ml extra virgin olive oil
Combine lemon juice, honey, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk together. Add oil and whisk to combine.

245sam, Jun 24, 1:47am
Chervil!

Hope that helps.:-))

wheelz, Jun 24, 1:57am
245sam wrote:
Chervil!

OP said it was a restaurant salad, so more likely something they add, rather than a store bought salad.

kinna54, Jun 24, 2:32am
chicory! Certain lettuce types have a chicory flavour, especially in baby green form.

beebs, Jun 24, 3:33am
thanks, i didnt realise! Its a real power hit flavour.and we just wondered what it was, thats all, thanks