Boil up...

Page 1 / 2
babytears, Jun 26, 2:19am
How do you cook them... i.e., do I put the meat in first, then veges, then watercress, or put it all in together? Any tips greatly appreciated :)

rainbowpride, Jun 26, 2:29am
It all depends what meat you are using I usually use briskett which I cut into decent sized pieces then I boil this for about an hour or maybe a bit more at which time I put in the washed watercress and some salt I then boil this for about an hour and then add some potatoes when these are cooked I add the doughboys making sure they dont sit in water and once these are cooked I enjoy.Its all very relaxed I dont time what I do but I do take my time as I love my watercress to melt in my mouth.

babytears, Jun 26, 2:37am
Thanks so much rainbowpride... I will do exactly that... I always remember seeing the watercress go in about a half hour or so before serving... but I like your idea... thanks :)

janny3, Jun 26, 9:23am

beaker59, Jun 26, 3:35pm
my wife also insists on Kamo kamo, carrots, pumkin, and kumara in her boil ups which I make for her. She is a chatham islander so also craves weka in hers but unfortunately illegal in NZ. Meat is usually neck chops or similar. We don't do doughboys.

babytears, Jun 26, 8:20pm
Awesome, thanks all. It turned out nice, I only had bacon bones, nice meaty ones though and I added a few sausages, as well as pumpkin, kumara, potato and watercress... it was nice (no kamokamo unfortunately or weka!) , but (as gross as this may sound) there was no fat, or virtually none in the pot, so was a wee bit plain - but nice all the same

rainrain1, Jun 26, 8:59pm
OMG Weka lol....dam bull ate all our watercress he was not very popular for a while I can tell you

norse_westie, Jun 27, 1:07am
OMG this thread reminds me of the many divine meals of pork and puha my mother used to make when we were really skint. Oh what I would give for a potful right now.

janny3, Jun 28, 1:28pm
No doughboys? Check out the butternut dumplings http://australianfood.about.com/od/pacificislandpolynesian/r/PumpkinDumpling.htm - as long as the bull doesn't raid the pumpkin patch too?

tahnasha, Jun 29, 5:40am
That's just wrong on so many levels!, LOL.

janny3, Jun 29, 12:27pm
I know but I couldn't resist... made & eaten....https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1191718509723&set=o.49391873035&type=1&theaterEaten again

destiny6nz, Jun 30, 1:10am
I cut up my brisket or pork into pieces and brown it in oil and garlic before adding water watercress than veges. Much much more tastier.

janny3, Jul 2, 2:26pm
I'm going to try that too.Thanks.

flint81, Jul 2, 5:12pm
x1
Chuck the meat in first, let it cook and then add the potatoes, let them cook and then the dough boys and watercress lol
ONE MEAN TIP-cook it the nite before and let it sit the whole nite, second boils the meanest, ant say the third one is because by then the cousins have cleaned it out lol

Dont forget the fry bread lol

babytears, Jul 2, 11:06pm
I love fry bread, dad used to make the flat bread, cook it and then wrap it in a tea towel until it was time to eat, warm and yummy with melted butter...mmm.

One thing I do know is that if you're using cabbage, you can't let it sit all night then reheat, it makes the whole pot go rancid

riwa2, Jul 3, 3:22am
cabbage is algud in boilup BUT if you have any leftovers it would pay to refrigerate - its usually the heat of summer that makes it bubble/rancid

riwa2, Jul 3, 3:35am
flint81 wrote:
Chuck the meat in first, let it cook and then add the potatoes, let them cook and then the dough boys and watercress lol
ONE MEAN TIP-cook it the nite before and let it sit the whole nite, second boils the meanest, ant say the third one is because by then the cousins have cleaned it out lol

NOW THATS what you call the original boilup! or use puha, or curly tops and chuck in the extras if you want, like kumera, new carrots, kamokamo, pumpkin etc. i love bacon bones, pork bones with tail, brisket bones, mutton flap but if i dont have any of those meats in my freezer then i settle for beef sausages from the butchers.
heres a big big tip - make sure you salt during cooking, a person uses too much salt when adding to the plate of food!

illusion_, Jul 3, 4:31am
Pork TENDERLOIN?

youve got to be kidding

rozigurl, Jul 3, 7:33pm
Boil up is my favourie food. I drink the juice like a soup its soo good. I do feel bad though for how fatty it is afterwards ( when you see it cooled down and cold) but meh. I think it should only have the essentials. Bacon Bones/Pork, Watercrest/puha, potatoes with skin on and the good ol dough boys...lots of water for that sweet bacony juice. Thats all you need. Good boilup. Would be mean if they served it in restuarants. Some real kiwiana for you. No knife n fork either. MUST use hands only! Cher

rainrain1, Jul 3, 8:21pm
I feel like making an Irish boil up now, must go see what's in the freezer

griffo4, Jul 3, 9:30pm
l found this blog and thought it might interest some as l was looking for a good doughboys recipe and found this page, sounds so yum and with this dull cold weather just the thing, yum

http://www.maori-in-oz.com/index.php?Itemid=75&id=88&option=com_content&task=view

firecentaurr, Jul 3, 10:48pm
I have what I jokingly refers to as 'Poor man's boil-up' which consists of cabbage, spuds and sausages....then I'll have the traditional boil-up which will either have pickled pork (or briskett), spuds, watercress and doughballs.
Unfortunately, I lavish my boil-up with tomato sauce!

I do the meat first, then the spuds, then the greens and then the doughballs with hot melted butter!*Not good for our waists though lol*

*Had anyone tried boil-up with chicken??I've always wanted to try that

bbq-bro, Jul 3, 11:11pm
the good ol sausage boil up lol done chicken quite a bit..all primo

beaker59, Jul 3, 11:37pm
Irish stew is the origon of Boilup, Maori first got iron pots from the whalers and sealers who would have been a mix of the poor of Britain including Ireland etc all of whom the traditional poor mans meal was a boil up of what ever was available.

janny3, Jul 4, 4:41pm
Subbed w/ chunks of offcuts from the Mad Butcher.Bite sized pieces instead.Also already cubed chicken off-cuts - also discounted.Perfect.Hope he has more.
http://australianfood.about.com/od/pacificislandpolynesian/r/BoilUp.htm