To all the experts in here

wayneandjudith, Jun 14, 10:36am
Is all New Zealand beef grass-fed AND what about chicken? Are there brands that don't feed their chicken on corn? I'm looking at the healthiness of the food I eat and don't know much about this but keen to find out.

245sam, Jun 14, 11:40am
wayneandjudith, I don't claim to be an expert but I do know that not all N.Z. beef is grass-fed - my brother in the course of his work maintains and repairs equipment that is used for grain-feeding cattle.:-))

lythande1, Jun 14, 7:50pm
Healthiness of food? Whether it has grass or grain doesn't affect it's health. Or do you mean yours? Again what the animal ate isn't of huge importance, what you eat is, that is, how much of everything and whether it's a balanced det.

griffo4, Jun 14, 8:45pm
l can't see any stock being fed grain only in NZ because of the cost of it
stock are fed grains as part of their diets sometimes but not all of the time because it is cheaper to grow grass
Not sure about chickens l have started to grow my own for the freezer and so l know what has gone into them after watching Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and his chicken experiment and it worked out that chickens kept in big barns were basically the same as fast food because of the fat between the muscles as they don't move around and the taste is so different when you have free range and alot less fat

lcscott, Jun 14, 10:14pm
i disagree with you there lythandewhat the animal does eat does affect the meat sorry, you can taste the difference between grass fed and grain fed meat.the colour also is differentjust my point of view being a country girl and having been in the beef industry for many years.What the animals ate isnt of huge importance?come on it sure makes a difference eg wild and farmed porktotally different meat!!!

lcscott, Jun 14, 10:16pm
for healthy i would highly recommend organicyou pay a little more but its well worth it

nfh1, Jun 14, 10:23pm
What animals eat is hugely important - the BSE epidemic in the UK proved that.

beaker59, Jun 15, 3:50am
That equipment is mainly for the dairy industry to extend the milking season there would be very little grain fed beef in our shops.

Chickens well go by the labelling but needless to say your average tegal eagle has never seen the light of day (Its only time outside is in the crate on the way to the killing sheds) or natural food. Corn fed are so so much nicer to eat. I am a turks fan myself though organic freerange like I used to produce my self is another quantum step up again.

245sam, Jun 15, 3:55am
The equipment my brother is involved with is definitely not for the dairy industry - the cattle are for beef consumption and some of that meat is available in our shops, hence my reason for answering poster #1's question by saying "I do know that not all N.Z. beef is grass-fed.":-))

cookessentials, Jun 15, 4:19am
what an animal eats has a direct effect on you if you eat the said animal, of course it does. What it eats goes into nourishing its OWN body and if you in turn eat it, then it does affect you.

wayneandjudith, Jun 15, 6:03am
Thanks everyone, I have been doing a lot of reading about healthy meat and there certainly is a difference between grain fed and grass fed beef. It seems the grain fed cattle are basically sick animals and have to be kept on antibiotics which must in turn affect us, However most of what I've read is from the States and there it's more of an issue. They seem to think all NZ beef is grass fed, however I wasn't sure. I can get grass fed OK so that's good, I like to stick to natural if I can!

wayneandjudith, Jun 15, 6:04am
I meant to add - can anyone tell me where, in or around Timaru I can buy organic chicken?

cheeseepoof, Jun 15, 6:06am
There is beef in New Zealand that is fed grain but saying that they will also be feed grass before being finished on grain, example would be 90day grain fed beef or 300 day grain fed beef

cheeseepoof, Jun 15, 6:11am
Have you tried your local farmers market?

dezzie, Jun 15, 6:22am
I think the only NZ grain fed feedlot typebeef is directly for export, its usually grass fed until 18 months of age then "finished" on grain, I don't think its the same as the states with ample use of antibiotics etc, antibiotic use in animals due to go to the works is strictly controlled, to the extent that if a dairy farmer gets a sick bobby calf, its easier to just put it down than treat it, the fines are massive for antibiotic detection, I don't imagine it would be any different for full grown animals.

juliewn, Jun 15, 6:23am
Supermarkets sell organic chicken's here.. and they're also sold at butcher's .. maybe where you are too..

wayneandjudith, Jun 15, 6:27am
dezzie that's good to know!
juliewn I'm sure you're right, I'll try the local butcher.

griffo4, Jun 15, 7:32am
You would be dumb to send stock to the works with antibiotics as the fines are not worth it let alone the damage to markets if it happens
Farmers have to fill out declaration forms and sign it as true and if it is false then you will prosecuted saying there is no antibiotics or other products used on these animals and you have to state whether they have been fed anything other then grass and hay in their lifetime
Grain fed could also be heifers being sent to China to be milked and they are getting them ready for shipping

uli, Jun 15, 7:53am
There is a farmer in Northland who feeds reject biscuits etc to his dairy cattle and thinks it is "environmentally friendly" LOL.