Hamilton - restaurants on or near Victoria Street

sumstyle, Jun 10, 10:58am
Howdy.Have to go to Hamilton on Tuesday for two days, and need to eat out for tea.Staying at the Ambassador on Ulster Street, and working near the corner of Victoria and London Sts.

I've looked at other posts re Hamilton restaurants (via the search function), and just wanted an update on ones close by as we won't have any transport.

Plus, could you please advise whether Victoria Street is safe to walk along at night?

antoniab, Jun 10, 8:12pm
OMG you HAVE to go to Chim Choo Ree on Victoria St if you can, its the best place Ive ever eaten at in NZ! If not Iguana is always good too but a massive restaurant and very busy (Chim Choo Ree is small and quirky) check out their menu on line, it is to die for.
And yes I think Victoria St is safe to walk on at night but Im not sure about up the Ulster St end? Taxi would be less that $10 if you are in doubt :)

sumstyle, Jun 10, 9:18pm
Excellent, Chim Choo Ree sounds just what I am after, the menu is very different too - yay!Thanks for that antoniab.

Slightly OT but I looked up the motel we have been booked in to and it doesn't have very good reviews so now I am a bit worried about bed bugs!That'll teach me for leaving it to the last moment to check.

carriebradshaw, Jun 10, 11:01pm
Totally agree with antoiniab.Chim Choo Ree is excellent.It's one of the places that my hubby takes clients and they all love it.
Another place I love is Gothenburg.It's just off Victoria St in Hood st.

jano8, Jun 10, 11:26pm
fieldays week - book !
note that your in hamilton during fieldays - restaurangs are chocker - if you want to go to chim cho ree - or most restaurants i would be BOOKING AHEAD.ordinary nights of the week i haven't been able to get into chim choo ree.

sumstyle, Jun 11, 12:35am
Arghh, excellent point jano8.I would have been oblivious to what else was going on in Hamilton this week.Thanks!

huntlygirl, Jun 11, 8:56am
The Ambassador is the pits.

juliewn, Jun 11, 9:14am
Try Gengy's.. in Victoria Street - and not far from a fabulous second hand bookshop that's open till late :-) - a favourite visiting place after dinner.. both there and Gengy's, since mid 2004..

It's a Mongolian BBQ restaurant - it's great to be able to fill a bowl with our own choices of meats, chicken, sea-foods, vegetables, some fruits, favourite types of oils, seasonings, sauces, etc..etc.. then have it kinda fast stir-fried on a huge round hotplate as it's individually cooked in front of us .. a very demonstrative and dramatic way of cooking.. They're here:
http://gengys.co.nz/

All the meats/veges, etc.. are cut for stir-frying..

Meats include beef, lamb, pork, some marinated, as well aschicken, shrimps, calamari, etc..etc..
Vege's are celery, onion, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, potato, baby corn, etc..
Fruits - pineapple
Oils - garlic, chilli, olive, sunflower, etc..
Sauces: garlic, sweet sour, teriyaki, sweet chilli, etc..
Seasoning's, rock salt, garlic salt, herbs, lemon pepper, etc..

Dessert is hot pancakes - cooked in front of us, then we help ourselves to one of the icecreams and some sauce/s.. hokey-pokey icecream and a mix of passionfruit and berry sauces.. eat as many as you like.. they're delicious.. :-)

Lunch's and Dinner's are at a flat rate - I think dinner was $28.95..fill your bowl and have the foods cooked as many times as you want - there's also soup and rolls to help yourself to, plus several salads and different ways of rice, some noodles and hot French fries..

juliewn, Jun 11, 9:18am
ps.. just found the price in the site.. dinner is $28.95.. list of foods available is here:
http://gengys.co.nz/menu.htm

yjeva, Jun 11, 9:20am
Yes - Victoria St is quite safe to walk along at night - I am an elderly lady and do it regularly.I have never even felt uneasy.

sumstyle, Jun 11, 8:52pm
Mmm. O well.There are no other rooms available anywhere else, and it is just one night so I shall have to look on the bright side, and hope it makes me grateful for my shaky but clean bedroom in Chc!

tc47, Jun 11, 9:10pm
Domaine is not far from where you will be working, and gets pretty good reviews.

http://www.menumania.co.nz/restaurants/domaine-restaurant

zambesi2, Jun 11, 11:24pm
Try The Victoria Street Bistro.The menu is fab and the staff charming.Not long been open and it's food is great and reasonably priced too.

sumstyle, Jun 12, 2:15am
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and reassurance re walking the streets.After all this prep it would be a shame if the trip is postponed cos of the ash cloud in the atmosphere ha!

antoniab, Jun 12, 2:41am
Come visit us at NOSH next door if you are staying at that hotel :) but dont be tempted to go across the road to The Helm to eat - its a rip off!

nzhel, Jun 12, 5:11am
We love Grillers not far from where you are staying. We usually always try to go there when in Hamilton. They serve mainly hamburger type meals tho do do other things. Their food is simple, nicely presented, very tasty and not too expensive. It is always busy there too as it is quite popular and you often have to book now days for Fridays and the weekends.

sjordan, Jun 12, 6:50am
The Helm is excellent also. Its a pub and its just down from the ambassador. Next to pak n save and KFC

stjimmy, Jun 12, 8:46am
Try Jaipur Walla if you'd like some lovely indian. Victoria St is mostly safe. You get the odd hooligan, but you can expect that anywhere. Just watch out as a pedestrian as we get some pretty bad/impatient drivers who think they can 'make' red lights....

Barzurk is good for pizza.

If you want a good atmosphere and good food at a reasonable price I would go to The Bank. It's at the South end of Victoria Street.

In my opinion I wouldn't go to Iguanas. On all 4 occasions I've found it to have staff who didn't know the menu, poor service, long waiting times and the dishes weren't that great.

Metropolis is also a great eatery - very tasty food.

sumstyle, Jun 14, 10:11am
O my word.Have just returned to our motel, and the choice of restaurants was fab - thanks everyone for your suggestions!Victoria St was really quiet during the day, but as you confirmed, fine to walk down at night.

So well strolled down - stopping on a whim half way to go to the movies at the Lido.That was lovely.

Then we ate at the Victoria St Bistro and it was such a marvellous experience!I had the paua and tuna entree, then the pork belly.My work mate tried the duck and then had the braised beef cheek.It all was so yummy that to have dessert would have spoilt it.

(antonia - we popped in to Nosh as well - what an interesting store, shame you weren't there for us to say hi, but we appreciate the chance!)

antoniab, Jun 14, 9:23pm
. lol