Napoleon Square

pat16, Jun 8, 6:19am
Does someone please have a recipe? My husband wants to make some. Thank you

245sam, Jun 8, 6:34am
How about this one pat16?It's from Trademe Cooks

"Napoleons creams
175 gms flaky pastry cut in half and roll out to fill tin. Bake for 10 mins 215 F. Filling • 3 des gelatine • 300 mls cream • 1 tb sugar • vanilla essence Soften gelatine in 2 tbs boiling water. Add half of milk and stir over a low heat until dissolved. Add remaining milk and sugar. Cool Add vanilla essence to cream and whip Combine the two mixtures Pour into a s wet sponge roll tin and leave to set. Turn on to one of the pieces of pastry and top with the other. Ice and sprinkle with coconut Cut into slices
posted by pam.delilah":-))

samboy, Jun 8, 6:50am
Is that Napolean square, my mum used to make it with first a layer of pastry spread with raspberry jam, then a layer of mock cream, then sponge cake in the middle, another layer of mock cream, and a layer of pastry with the jam on the bottom layer of pastry, then she would ice it.

pat16, Jun 8, 6:53am
Thank you so much. Will try at the weekend.

ttwisty, Jun 8, 6:56am

terraalba, Jun 8, 7:21am
Yes that recipe does indeed do a spendid example of Napoleon Square. I also took the time to add the milk gradually to the gelatine as if a roux sauce. It isn't necessary bit it seemed to improve the texture a bit.

pat16, Jun 9, 6:19am
Does someone please have a recipe! My husband wants to make some. Thank you

245sam, Jun 9, 6:34am
How about this one pat16!It's from Trademe Cooks

"Napoleons creams
175 gms flaky pastry cut in half and roll out to fill tin. Bake for 10 mins 215 F. Filling • 3 des gelatine • 300 mls cream • 1 tb sugar • vanilla essence Soften gelatine in 2 tbs boiling water. Add half of milk and stir over a low heat until dissolved. Add remaining milk and sugar. Cool Add vanilla essence to cream and whip Combine the two mixtures Pour into a s wet sponge roll tin and leave to set. Turn on to one of the pieces of pastry and top with the other. Ice and sprinkle with coconut Cut into slices
posted by pam.delilah":-))

terraalba, Jun 9, 7:21am
Yes that recipe does indeed do a spendid example of Napoleon Square. I also took the time to add the milk gradually to the gelatine as if a roux sauce. It isn't necessary bit it seemed to improve the texture a bit.

pat16, Jun 10, 5:39am
Thanks for the recipe but it does not say how much milk required in the Napoleon Squares.