Cranberries..

nutwrencher, Jun 8, 3:02am
Brought a bag of frozen cranberries but they are as sour as hell..
* We can only really get fruit in cans or frozen as present living in Norfolk Island and not alot of fruit or any around at the time*

Has anyone got any good ideas what to make with them..
Maybe a nice muffin recipe or anything really..
Thank you :)

lythande1, Jun 8, 3:10am
Add sugar? Then they'll be nicer.

nutwrencher, Jun 8, 3:27am
Yes thought of that but got them for my son and he doesnt want a bar of them now..So thought something nice made with them to use them up..

245sam, Jun 8, 3:36am
nutwrencher, have a look at:-

http://www.cranberries.org/cranberries/recipes.html and http://www.ffowcs.co.nz/Products/Orchard+Gold+Frozen+Berries/Orchard+Gold+Cranberries/Cranberry+Recipes.html

On that second link is a recipe for a very easy sauce (Simple Cranberry Sauce) that I made for Christmas Day using frozen Orchard Gold brand cranberries - it had a slight tart bite with it but was excellent with the turkey and very popular.

Hope there's something on those links that helps.:-))

nutwrencher, Jun 8, 7:24am
Thanks 245sam...

kirsten5, Jun 8, 9:09am
I use my chocolate chippie recipe(one with consensed milk) and instead of putting in the dark chocolate chips I put in white chocolate drops and cranberries. They are yummy and the kids love them.

m41, Jun 8, 9:31am
Kirsten5 can you please share your recipe sound yum!

245sam, Jun 8, 9:46am
kirsten5, I assume that for your biscuits you use dried craisins (aka craisins) and not the frozen and raw cranberries as poster #1/nutwrencher is asking about??:-))

245sam, Jun 8, 9:52am
quote=nutwrencher]Thanks 245sam...[/quote]

You're welcome, nutwrencher.Those cranberries are indeed a very "sour" surprise for anyone who may have enjoyed the sweetness of purchased cranberry sauce/jelly or dried craisins, although IMO cranberry juice also has an obvious tartness compared to other fruit juices.I guess it depends on one's tastebuds but I hope you can find some way of making use of them that will be more palatable.:-))

245sam, Jul 4, 10:55pm
nutwrencher, have you used those cranberries yet?If not you may like to use them for this recipe that I have just found from a recent local paper.....

CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY SELF-SAUCING PUD
This pudding has a sauce-like base.Raspberries, blackberries or blackcurrants could replace the cranberries.

50g butter
2 tbsp cocoa powder
¼ cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries

Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the cocoa and sugar.Remove from the heat.Sift in the flour and baking powder, then stir in the milk and vanilla.
Place the cranberries in a lightly greased 20cm x 17cm baking dish (or similar).Spoon the batter over the top.
Sauce:
½ cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1½ cups boiling water

Combine the dry ingredients and sprinkle them over the batter.Carefully drizzle the boiling water over the back of a spoon on to the pudding.
Bake at180°Cforabout 30 minutes.
Excellent served with whipped cream or icecream.
Serves 6.:-))

nutwrencher, Jul 5, 4:27am
That sounds yummy 245sam..
Thank you :)