Chokos what

60zip, Jun 7, 6:56am
can you do with them.Have been given some and have no idea what to do with them.

jag5, Jun 7, 7:25am
Chokos themselves don't have a lot of flavour....I personally am not a fan of them....but I have had them steamed, with a cheese sauce over...they were nice.

busdweller, Jun 7, 10:43am
Grate them and put into soup, stews etc ... throw them in with the other veg in the roasting pan as they suck up all the other flavours.Choko chutney and I have heard of them being used as a filler in fruit pies etc.Good source of vit c.

auburn4, Jun 7, 11:04am
I use chokos to pad out a vegetable dish. Make a cauliflower cheese but use less cauli and add in choko. You can do this with most vegetable dishes and with free chokos it really helps to make your vegetables go further. Make sure your dish is full of flavourthe chokos will take on this flavour.

cookessentials, Jun 7, 9:37pm
I steam them and make either a nice cheese or onion sauce to pour over the top...they are pretty tasteless otherwise. I am sure I have seen a recipe somewhere for a choko chocolate cake.

duce3, Jun 7, 9:43pm
I peel them under running water so it washes off the sticky liquid (like some cukes).Then I add them to almost any vegies I am cooking.They are great in stir frys, soup, curry, stew and make fantastic chutney.
Last night I made stirfry onions, celery, choko, parsnip and carrot and it was great.

camgirl, Jun 7, 11:28pm
Choko Soup

3-6 Chokos peeled under running water an chopped into small cubes
1 leek Chopped\
2 Carrots peeled an chopped
2 Spuds peeled an cubed
Spinich/silverbeet finely sliced
4 Cups chicken Stock
Pepper an salt

Boil then simmer till veges all tender.Before serving add half tub of light sour cream and a tablespoon of parmesan cheese (grated)

You can add any veges really, but great way to use up Chokos!!!

ENJOY!!!!

lookin4adeal, Jun 8, 12:12am
I add them to my pasta bolognaise, I add whatever vegies I have on hand to my mince, onions, carrots, courgettes, chokos, spinach etc.Just makes it all go further.I treat them like courgettes and just use them instead. I also put them in my vegie bakes as well.Enjoy!

jag5, Jun 8, 7:25am
Chokos themselves don't have a lot of flavour.I personally am not a fan of them.but I have had them steamed, with a cheese sauce over.they were nice.

uli, Jun 8, 7:57am
Potato and choko soup:

Fry chopped onions and bacon,
add stock,
add peeled and finely sliced potatoes,
add peeled and finely sliced choko about 5 minutes later.
Cook for a further 3 to 5 minutes, until potatoes and cholos are soft,
add cream, salt and pepper (if stock isn't salty enough already).
Top with fresh chopped herbs like parsley, lovage, chives etc.

paora-tm, Jun 8, 9:33am
Feed then to the pigs along with white turnips.

busdweller, Jun 8, 10:43am
Grate them and put into soup, stews etc . throw them in with the other veg in the roasting pan as they suck up all the other flavours.Choko chutney and I have heard of them being used as a filler in fruit pies etc.Good source of vit c.

joanne38, Jun 8, 12:21pm
does anyone have a recipe for choko chutney or something similar??

duce3, Jun 8, 12:46pm
I made some last week and will look up the recipe for you tomorrow.It was really good.

cookessentials, Jun 8, 9:37pm
I steam them and make either a nice cheese or onion sauce to pour over the top.they are pretty tasteless otherwise. I am sure I have seen a recipe somewhere for a choko chocolate cake.

camgirl, Jun 8, 11:28pm
Choko Soup

3-6 Chokos peeled under running water an chopped into small cubes
1 leek Chopped\
2 Carrots peeled an chopped
2 Spuds peeled an cubed
Spinich/silverbeet finely sliced
4 Cups chicken Stock
Pepper an salt

Boil then simmer till veges all tender.Before serving add half tub of light sour cream and a tablespoon of parmesan cheese (grated)

You can add any veges really, but great way to use up Chokos!

ENJOY!

duce3, Jun 9, 4:37am
I have put my notes at the bottom so I know exactly what I did for my next batch!
Choko Chutney
From Digby Law’s Pickle & Chutney Cookbook
A sweetish, mild chutney.

4 chokos
2 cooking apples
2 tomatoes
3 medium onions
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
½ tsp ground cloves
1 ½ cups mixed dried fruit
2 ½ cups malt vinegar

Peel and core the chokos and apples, peel the tomatoes and onions, and finely chop them all.Combine with the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to the boil and cook very gently, stirring occasionally, for about 1 ½ - 2 hours, until the chutney is thickened.
Pour into hot, clean jars and seal.
Makes about 2.5 litres.
=========================
Notes
I used 3 apples as they were medium size.
I used brown sugar as I like the flavour added.
The mixed fruit was a combination of crystallized ginger, cranberries, raisin, sultans, prunes and apricot because that is what I had in the cupboard!
The chokos retained some firmness even after it was finished so they should be cooked slightly before the other ingredients if you want them soft.

joanne38, Jun 9, 12:21pm
does anyone have a recipe for choko chutney or something similar!

coconutbuns, Jun 9, 5:05pm
Choko's are absolutely yummy!Peel (with gloves on if veg is spiky can hurt). Cut in half. Cut out core. Slice. Boil as you would any veg or steam quickly. Add some onion if you want to & a dab of butter it is yum!My mum's garden is full of them & they taste a lot better than cabbage. Sort of a bit like marrow.

coconutbuns, Jun 10, 5:05pm
Choko's are absolutely yummy!Peel (with gloves on if veg is spiky can hurt). Cut in half. Cut out core. Slice. Boil as you would any veg or steam quickly. Add some onion if you want to & a dab of butter it is yum!My mum's garden is full of them & they taste a lot better than cabbage. Sort of a bit like marrow.

uli, Jun 11, 8:24am
I used to say the same but was told off terribly for it - so now I refrain LOL :)
But of course the pigs taste much nicer than any old choko!

rebecca__-_gold_, Jan 13, 3:50pm
Has anyone dehydrated chokos? I have a bumper crop & don't want to spend the time & expense of pickling, preserving or freezing them as electricity charges are increasing almost day by day...Theres also a storage factor & I must admit I'm geared towards drying rather than having the pantry full of jams, preserves etc.

I imagine they would be treated like potatoes or blanched first - any help would be appreciated.. many thanks.