Polenta

dbab, Jun 6, 2:24am
How does everyone else eat this?
I made a small amount yesterday, and when it was set, I floured it and fried it in a little oil. I had it with a tomato and capsicum warm salsa type sauce.
It was really nice so now i would like some more ideas on how to serve it. Apparently it's good with any "saucy" recipes.

ruby19, Jun 6, 2:44am
I had a salad which had the pan fried polenta in it with blue cheese, walnutsroasted pumpkin , with a beautiful Madeira dressing.

frances1266, Jun 6, 3:32am
You can have it warm like mashed potato or set it and cut into chip shapes and serve with aoli or a tomato style sauce.

juliewn, Jun 6, 10:44am
When you spread it out, keep it fairly thin, cool, then use in place of pasta when making lasagne.. just delicious..

Or.. using thinly spread and cooled polenta, make a mince and tomato mixture - Spaghetti Bolognese type - and pile it hot into an oven dish.. place a layer of polenta over that, as you would pastry.. sprinkle with parmesan and/or tasty cheese (or your favourite cheese) and place under the grill.. yum!
Sprinkle dried breadcrumbs over the cheese to give a crunchy topping..

Use thickly layered polenta in place of buns to make hamburgers.. grill or toast the polenta to enhance the flavour..

Add some finely chopped onion or shallots, and some crushed garlic, or other herbs and veges - basil, thyme, mint, grated carrot or pumpkin, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, etc.. etc.. when cooking the polenta, for extra goodness.. use as above or grill pieces in place of hash-browns..

You can use it to replace potatoes (scalloped potatoes/potato bake, etc..), pasta or pastry in many recipes.. making the polenta the thickness you prefer for each way you use it..

juliewn, Jun 6, 10:48am
ps.. cut into cubes and grill or fry to use as croutons..

dbab, Jun 7, 2:24am
How does everyone else eat this!
I made a small amount yesterday, and when it was set, I floured it and fried it in a little oil. I had it with a tomato and capsicum warm salsa type sauce.
It was really nice so now i would like some more ideas on how to serve it. Apparently it's good with any "saucy" recipes.

dbab, Jun 7, 3:34am
Thanks for those suggestions. i will definitely try some of them.

juliewn, Jun 7, 10:44am
When you spread it out, keep it fairly thin, cool, then use in place of pasta when making lasagne. just delicious.

Or. using thinly spread and cooled polenta, make a mince and tomato mixture - Spaghetti Bolognese type - and pile it hot into an oven dish. place a layer of polenta over that, as you would pastry. sprinkle with parmesan and/or tasty cheese (or your favourite cheese) and place under the grill. yum!
Sprinkle dried breadcrumbs over the cheese to give a crunchy topping.

Use thickly layered polenta in place of buns to make hamburgers. grill or toast the polenta to enhance the flavour.

Add some finely chopped onion or shallots, and some crushed garlic, or other herbs and veges - basil, thyme, mint, grated carrot or pumpkin, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, etc. etc. when cooking the polenta, for extra goodness. use as above or grill pieces in place of hash-browns.

You can use it to replace potatoes (scalloped potatoes/potato bake, etc.), pasta or pastry in many recipes. making the polenta the thickness you prefer for each way you use it.

juliewn, Jun 7, 10:48am
ps. cut into cubes and grill or fry to use as croutons.

lindylambchops1, Jun 8, 1:43am
I have un-used polenta your suggestions are great thank you.I bought it to make cookies.

duce3, Jun 8, 3:57am
Fry it like you did but pour maple syrup over it...yummy

duce3, Jun 9, 3:57am
Fry it like you did but pour maple syrup over it.yummy