Mandarins coming out my ears... help

Page 1 / 2
karen1010, Jun 4, 9:10am
Ive frozen juice and made marmalade. Ive made an orange cake and orange muffins but neither came out all that nice.What else can i do with them??Can i use lemon and lime recipes and just change them too mandarin juice?Ive got a yummy lemon slice recipe but just dont know if i should kill it by trying to make it a mandarin slice lol.

kuaka, Jun 4, 9:14am
lemon curd made with mandarins instead of lemon is quite good, I've done that before when I've had too many mandarins - actually that should be "a lot" of mandarins, as I don't think I could ever have too many, they are just so tasty.

jessie981, Jun 4, 9:17am
They'd make yummy ice blocks for kidlets.

karen1010, Jun 4, 9:18am
Oh thats a good idea.Im finding i have waayyy too many. i gave away two whole supermarket bags and bought inside another two bags. But looking at the trees,you cant even see where the fruit came from, they still look packed.

kuaka, Jun 4, 9:26am
ooh you lucky thing.Maybe you could give some to some elderly in your neighbourhood who could be struggling to buy fruit on their meagre pensions.I thought my tree was doing well, it has about 40 on, but it's only a baby at the moment, it's only been in a couple of years.I'm hoping for bigger and better things next year.

mandi, Jun 4, 9:34am
Oh, you're so lucky! Sadly I don't think they grow down this way, my kids are going thru about 4kgs of them a week!Can't complain - they're full of Vit C, but would be great to have them in the garden. You could take excess manderines to a local school or kindy.

cgvl, Jun 4, 9:56am
lemon cheese pudding made with mandarins is nice, I've also made it using grapefruit.

nzl99, Jun 4, 8:36pm
Vodka.Mandarins.Let it seep.

buzzy110, Jun 5, 1:32am
I've made the lemon curd, using oranges, instead. My one piece of advice is to cut down on the sugar or it will be too sweet. Lemons are sour. Mandarins are not.

kuaka, Jun 5, 1:44am
true buzzy, I was going to suggest still using some lemon juice or zest.

iriegirl, Jun 5, 1:46am
Mandarin sorbet?

uli, Jun 5, 2:18am
I throw the surplus into the food processor, only cut and remove pips.
Then freeze.

Use later:
-instead of mixed peel,
- for a magical mandarin cake,
- make some salsa with ginger, garlic etc to go with pork, goose or duck,
- turn into sorbet,
- or ice cream with some eggs, sugar and cream added,
- steep in vodka for a lovely drink,
- or add sugar to the vodka later and have a liqueur,
- make some chutney or jam or marmalade - add ginger if you like...

That was just of the top of my head,
Probably thousands more recipes if you google LOL

karen1010, Jun 5, 9:10am
Ive frozen juice and made marmalade. Ive made an orange cake and orange muffins but neither came out all that nice.What else can i do with them!Can i use lemon and lime recipes and just change them too mandarin juice!Ive got a yummy lemon slice recipe but just dont know if i should kill it by trying to make it a mandarin slice lol.

kuaka, Jun 5, 9:14am
lemon curd made with mandarins instead of lemon is quite good, I've done that before when I've had too many mandarins - actually that should be "a lot" of mandarins, as I don't think I could ever have too many, they are just so tasty.

jessie981, Jun 5, 9:17am
They'd make yummy ice blocks for kidlets.

kuaka, Jun 5, 9:26am
ooh you lucky thing.Maybe you could give some to some elderly in your neighbourhood who could be struggling to buy fruit on their meagre pensions.I thought my tree was doing well, it has about 40 on, but it's only a baby at the moment, it's only been in a couple of years.I'm hoping for bigger and better things next year.

mandi, Jun 5, 9:34am
Oh, you're so lucky! Sadly I don't think they grow down this way, my kids are going thru about 4kgs of them a week!Can't complain - they're full of Vit C, but would be great to have them in the garden. You could take excess manderines to a local school or kindy.

cgvl, Jun 5, 9:56am
lemon cheese pudding made with mandarins is nice, I've also made it using grapefruit.

winnie15, Jun 5, 10:44am
i've got heaps of mandarin's too .. i'm passing mine to families with children and anyone who wants them ..

ana-marie, Jun 5, 11:17am
Gee I envy you! We are having to buy so many, my 2 year old eats them constantly! Funny he calls them 'gicksh' my days consist of hearing 'more gicksh, more gicksh!'

kuaka, Jun 5, 11:46am
gicksh?How odd.Sounds nothing like mandarin does it.

iriegirl, Jun 6, 1:46am
Mandarin sorbet!

momma1, Jun 6, 2:52am
take a box into a food bank. or give a box to the primary school. our school used to have a program called fruit in schools and some kids it was the only fresh fruit they'd get

kamitchell, Jun 6, 7:11am
what area of cambridge are you in Karen? we are in Matangi, could buy some off you? set up a road side stall maybe? I can't wait till we have this problem.

blt10, Jun 6, 7:19am
Great idea kamitchell