Help with KUMURA MASH....please

niclee, Jun 2, 8:46pm
Hi am cooking hubby special birthday tea tonight and recently had a love kumura mash while eating out. Has any one got any tips on any extra goodies that can be added to it to make itspecial or is it just made like potatoes, butter and milk mashed. Help appreciated...

bappy, Jun 2, 8:52pm
Herbs if you like the flavour, as much seasoning as you like.

cookessentials, Jun 2, 9:19pm
If you warm the milk before adding it, it will help the mash to stop going sticky. Orange is always nice with kumara, so perhaps a wee dash of orange juice or a little orange zest mixed through.

murdoc4, Jun 2, 9:24pm
Really nice with chives - dried or fresh, butter, s & p and hot milk!I add parsley to most of my mashes too.

prawn_whiskas, Jun 2, 9:29pm
before you even cook it, once you have chopped it and put it in the pot, rinse it under the tap until the water in the pot has gone clear and all the free floating starch has gone... this will stop it going gluggy and gluie when you mash it, makes a smoother less sticky mash.

lavender32, Jun 2, 9:37pm
Grated orange zest & nutmeg & butter.

niclee, Jun 2, 9:42pm
Thanks for all the ideas, really looking forward makeing it...thanks

lavender32, Jun 2, 9:50pm
I bake the kumera in the oven for an hour then take out & peel. Seems to be creamier than peeling & boiling like you would do with potatoes.

52many, Jun 2, 10:16pm
What I do is cook & mash the kumera with1 tin crushed pineapple. Fry up some onions, add to mash. Put into baking dish and cover with grated cheese. Warm in oven until cheese is melted. Yum.

norse_westie, Jun 2, 10:25pm
Lots of butter, and I add a dash of coconut milk.
(Actually I would add coconut milk to anything if I could. Shame my kids dont loe it).

sossie1, Jun 2, 10:28pm
i had some in a restaurant that had orange juice and fresh coriander, it was yum.

malcovy, Jun 2, 10:35pm
Orange kumara mashed with ground ginger, little brown sugar, cream and optional is butter and whip it till light and creamy, salt to taste.

garfeild101, Jun 3, 4:52am
Yep i add a gud splashing of tasty orange juice-tastes like the resturant type =0

otterhound, Jun 3, 6:31am
A friend of mine makes that, and it's lovely!