Drying Almonds from tree

2bakerz, May 25, 8:27pm
When in Alexandra recently picked bag of almonds from ground and after soft green outer comes off now left with hard shell, with almonds inside.I've dried them off in the oven,180 deg, turn off and leave overnight, a few times and also put on large sieve in sunshine for few days.Still too hard to crack - do they actually take quite a long time before "ripe"?Would love to know as seems a huge waste not to do something with them.

retired, May 25, 8:33pm
I am interested in what replies you get as we never had to dry ours.My mother used to love them fresh from the tree,"wet" as she called it and dipped in salt.Think we used a hammer!

gemini007, May 26, 5:42am
agree with retired - my aunt and uncle had a heap of almond trees when I was a kid - they never dried theirs - picked - spent hours peeling off soft green outer then we cracked them - with a nut cracker and stored them in the freezer.Delish!

pickles7, May 26, 6:10am
I can tell you a pitiful tale about almonds. Arelative of mine bought a Orchard in Tauranga, A whole lot of trees had these darned peaches that did nothing. Hechopped them all out. Then learnt what they were.The worst part was they were in full production, at the time,

2bakerz, May 26, 8:27pm
When in Alexandra recently picked bag of almonds from ground and after soft green outer comes off now left with hard shell, with almonds inside.I've dried them off in the oven,180 deg, turn off and leave overnight, a few times and also put on large sieve in sunshine for few days.Still too hard to crack - do they actually take quite a long time before "ripe"!Would love to know as seems a huge waste not to do something with them.

2bakerz, May 27, 8:03am
Thanks all so much for your input.I have tried to open them with the nutcracker but just totally impossible!I didn't really want to hammer them open as I'd like to have the nut whole. Oh, well I've now put them in the colander in the hot water cupboard and will just wait and see, and if my patience wanes, I'll whack them with the hammer!

2bakerz, May 28, 8:03am
Thanks all so much for your input.I have tried to open them with the nutcracker but just totally impossible!I didn't really want to hammer them open as I'd like to have the nut whole. Oh, well I've now put them in the colander in the hot water cupboard and will just wait and see, and if my patience wanes, I'll whack them with the hammer!