DISASTER DISHES

westward1, May 22, 9:53pm
Share with me your worst disaster in cooking :-)

nativeg1rl, May 22, 9:59pm
When DH put coconut cream in with the carbonara last night.

mallee, May 22, 10:04pm
Mine is not so much a cooking disaster, but we had important guests coming for drinks and finger food. A quarter of an hour before guests were to arrive I put all the canapes I had spent all day making onto the coffee table. Raced upstairs to dressed, came down, all the canapes had gone, and the guests were due any moment. I thought hubby was playing a joke, until I noticed a very fat, guilty looking dog hiding under the dining table. I generally can't move without my shadow, but this time she out smarted me.Guess it served me right. The one time I prayed for the guests to be late, was the one time they were on time GEZZZ!!!!

lizab, May 22, 10:18pm
I was trying out lots of different dishes one night for about 12 people. We all had far too much to drink and I just wasn't hungry enough to rush with dinner. Just before midnight, I served up ok dishes, but one that was a complete disaster was the chicken I had panfried and finished in the oven. Well I thought I had finished it, until a guest told me he had a seriously undercooked chicken. I looked at the definite pink chicken, but I was so full of wine, I told him to put it in the microwave for 5 mins!!! lol and he did!!! I felt terrible the next day - I could have food poisoned everyone!!!!

mallee, May 22, 10:28pm
Oh dear, never mind, you were enjoying yourself immensely, by the sound of it.

kuaka, May 22, 11:02pm
Years ago, my first hubby and I were staying at our bach and we invited some friends round for lunch the following day.Following day arrived and we heard a knock on the door, scrambled out of bed (yes, we were still fast asleep!) and here stood our lunch guests, it was 12.30.Very embarrassed, we apologised and asked could they please forget lunch and come back for tea, which thankfully they agreed to.So I forget what I cooked for the main meal, but I made a yummy plum crumble for pud, to be served with whipped cream.I asked my son - who was about 9 at that stage - to refill the sugar bowl for me please."Where's the sugar mum?" - reply, it's in the green container on the bench.Course, there were two green containers, a large one with sugar in, and a small one with salt in.Yep.He refilled the sugar bowl with salt, and after we'd all eaten our meal and I had served the plum crumble, and all the guests had smothered it in "sugar" as I'd said it might be a bit sharp, one by one they stopped eating when they realised what they'd done.As I don't mind sharp things, and hadn't put any "sugar" on mine, I was the only one who could eat the pud.How embarrassing.

purplegoanna, May 22, 11:07pm
the other night i made a HUGE lasanga with those STUPID flat lasange things instead of the old faithfull pre-cook strips.....well they didnt cook properly after twice the amount of time and to resurrect any sort of dinner i then had to scrap the mince of them and we had lasanga mince on toast and the chooks go the pasta for brekky!..NEVA AGAIN

arkle16, May 22, 11:22pm
Had that happen to me too and the best thing to do is soak them in water first for about 20 minutes then put them in your lasanga.

lizab, May 22, 11:25pm
LOL!!!!

kuaka, May 22, 11:40pm
Not a cooking disaster, more a case of another time I asked son to help in the kitchen.We'd had friends round for dinner the previous night, and I'd made a trifle for pud.There was only a little bit left, so I transferred it from the nice big crystal dish into a cereal bowl and left it on the end of the bench.Tonight we were having my boss and his wife over for a meal, so I might as well make another trifle, to use up the other half of the trifle sponge and the remainder of the sherry.I washed the big crystal bowl, dried it and set about making another trifle, I had it made except for putting the custard on, and I foolishly asked my son (still around 9) to give the trifle to the dog - meaning the bit in the cereal bowl.Course he gave the whole new trifle to the dog, who was only a young pup then.She devoured the whole lot in a few gulps and never moved for two whole days.When my son realised what he'd done he thought I'd be really angry with him, but I couldn't stop laughing, especially when I looked at the poor dog.Talk about a "poisoned pup" - her belly was huge.

I think I ended up making an apple pie instead.

After that I learned that if my son was helping in the kitchen, any instructions had to be very exact and I had to make sure he'd understood exactly what I said and what I expected of him.

duce3, May 23, 1:13am
Well mine is yesterdays flop.I made my first ever dill pickle slices and they look great but so salty you can't eat them!Now I have to see if I can find a way to resurrect them......

terachaos, May 23, 1:34am
Used salt instead of caster sugar in a bread and butter pudding. The fact that it didn't have the usual caramelisation on the top should have given it away...

norse_westie, May 23, 1:52am
My little boy has a late December birthday so always missed out on taking a cake for his big day, but on his last week before starting school, I made a beautiful rich chocolate cake and iced it with ganache. Popped it in the fridge for an hour before taking it, and when I went to get it nearly had a heart attack when out jumped the cat...who had gobbled a good third of the cake. It seems son couldnt resist taking another peek at the cake while I was in the shower and the greedy cat must have jumped into the fridge without him seeing. (It has happened before and since).

He took a very small cake that had been cut to remove the eaten edge.

lythande1, May 23, 2:25am
Yuk. Dogs inside.

sue1955, May 23, 2:25am
You win. That story is just too funny.
Best I can do is tell about the time when I (10yrs old), made scones for some tradesmen working at our home. They turned out with a green tinge & to this day we still don't know how I managed that!

lythande1, May 23, 2:25am
I put Tbsps chilli in instead of tsps.

gerry64, May 23, 2:31am
this was years ago - my sister iced the most stunning cakes and was very excited to get an order for a very upmarket wedding for a 4 tiered cake- the parents arrived to pick up the cake as her husband brought their young cat home from the vet from being desexed - in front of them all it leapt out of the carry cage up on the table and sprayed the cake!!!

eastie3, May 23, 6:45am
Disaster 1 - Husband,tasked with getting the roast out of the freezer and putting it on to cook, tied it up withthat coated string which disintegrated during cooking,but that wasnt the disaster.The 'roast' was corned beef.All the veges in the tin were ruined,it was a big salty mess.

Disaster 2 - For an important business dinner with my husbands London- based colleague,I bought an expensive fillet of beef,a cut I had never cooked before.I followed the recipe in a usually reliable cookbook and it was a tough,stringyand embarrassing disaster.Twenty years on,I still cringe when I think of it.

jessie981, May 23, 6:53am
Guests for tea. Made the coke cola chicken in a slow cooker. Was sooo revolting. Took lid off & looked like it was sitting in liquid with globules of fat on top.

pom-pom, May 23, 7:00am
I chopped lods of veggies for a Jamie Oliver roasted cous cous salad. Red capsicum, red onion, garlic, zucchini strips, asparagus spears etc etc. Did two trays steeped in olive oil. Roasted until beautifully charred. Left on the side to cool down so I could peel the capsicum skin off. When I got back into the kitchen they were gone and all the sides were neat and tidy. Hubby had tidied and cleaned up. He was expecting praise because not only had he chucked all those burnt veg away but he'd also washed the roasting trays up!!!

norse_westie, May 23, 8:11am
Not a cooking one but something I still facepalm about a year later. One Friday my kids went to their dads and I was craving steak so went shopping. Bought a kg of cheap skirt steak for the two dogs and two pieces of eye fillet for myself - being VERY greedy. The eye fillet cost close to $20.

Got home, and while unpacking, phone rang. It was my best friend and we had heaps to say...so I chopped the the dogs steak while I chatted. As I dropped it into their bowls, I felt sick as I watched them virtually inhale it, and I thought: sheesh that wasnt much for a whole kg...

And then I realized I had just chopped up $25 worth of eye fillet for the dogs who looked like I had ripped them off. I had a sandwich for dinner.

jmonster, May 23, 8:27am
Funniest story ever! What a greedy cat!