Pickles7 or anyone with the answer

Page 1 / 2
duce3, May 20, 3:49am
I want to do up pickles but my recipe calls for at least 6% vinegar and I can only get 4%.I thought I'd add acetic acid but it turns out it is very expensive if you can even find it now.Can I use the 4% safely?

pickles7, May 20, 6:12am
what are you making? And what vinegar do you have??

rainrain1, May 20, 6:17am
you could add water to make up to the 6%, but they will taste milder.Or put in less veg

pickles7, May 20, 6:26am
You would know not to add water. You could simmer your vinegar and reduce it by 1/4 of the volume. But It would depend on what you are doing. There has been problems with mussels, being pickled with a shocking outcome, that was many years ago. I know the alcohol content before I make vinegar so am not worried, about the vinegar I make.

buzzy110, May 20, 6:43am
I don't think you actually understand what is meant by percentages. It has nothing to do with volume.

duce3, May 20, 6:48am
sorry I was at dinner.I am making several things: choko pickle (like cucumber slices), mixed vegetable, and dill pickle.It has been hard to find dills seed as well as fresh dill which surprised me.

rainrain1, May 20, 6:50am
oh well you 'em buzzy !!!!!

pickles7, May 20, 6:53am
I figure if the vinegar is not strong enough, I would simmer it and reduce the volume, to increase the acidity..I suggest reducing it by 1/4 of the volume, it should be near what you require.. Acetic acid is expensive, better to just simmer down a bit.

duce3, May 20, 7:01am
thank you, I feel better having someone with more experience to ask.I have been very successful with several kinds of chutney this season. And...drum roll here....my marmalade and jelly turned out perfect and set for first time ever.I am really chuffed and had many thank yous from my hubby.

buzzy110, May 20, 7:05am
Congratulations on your successes duce. It is always nice when things go as planned. The secret to great marmalades and jellies is definitely to select fruit just before it becomes fully ripe. There is a lot more pectin present than if you waited for it to ripen.

pickles7, May 20, 7:06am
Most vinegars you buy should not be under6% acidity. You will find there is a requirement by the health dept. what brand is it. I never buy vinegar now, the flavour is not good. I prefer my home made vinegars now.
Salt the choko, that will get rid of the extra water out of them, that will help a little.
I am not fussed now, I use whatever vinegar is opened , cider, malt or wine. I am making lager vinegar next. I must get on and get it started.I was given a mother of D.Y.C. vinegar, so it will be interesting to taste the out come.

duce3, May 20, 7:12am
D.Y.C. vinegar.Their web site said all their vinegars are 4 to 4.2%
Salting the choko sounds like a very good idea.I tried freezing it to see how it held up but when it defrosts it loses at least half or more of its volume in water.It would be ok in soup though.

pickles7, May 20, 7:17am
For sure.....duce3....good work.

pickles7, May 20, 7:22am
Make the pickle, just salt it first.Use plain salt, or sea salt...By the time you cook the pickle you will have reduced it any way. I think that vinegar is tasteless now, not malty at all.

duce3, May 20, 7:38am
Do you ever use rock salt for anything?

pickles7, May 20, 7:51am
I have used rock salt, it is referable to iodised salt.

duce3, May 20, 8:11am
thank you, I have a 1 kilo bag I can use.

duce3, May 20, 10:46am
LOL I have saved that whole thread in my recipe file.thank you

pickles7, May 20, 9:38pm
A kilo of salt , made me do it, lol.

duce3, May 21, 3:49am
I want to do up pickles but my recipe calls for at least 6% vinegar and I can only get 4%.I thought I'd add acetic acid but it turns out it is very expensive if you can even find it now.Can I use the 4% safely!

pickles7, May 21, 6:12am
what are you making! And what vinegar do you have!

buzzy110, May 21, 6:43am
I don't think you actually understand what is meant by percentages. It has nothing to do with volume.

rainrain1, May 21, 6:50am
oh well you 'em buzzy !

pickles7, May 21, 6:53am
I figure if the vinegar is not strong enough, I would simmer it and reduce the volume, to increase the acidity.I suggest reducing it by 1/4 of the volume, it should be near what you require. Acetic acid is expensive, better to just simmer down a bit.

duce3, May 21, 7:01am
thank you, I feel better having someone with more experience to ask.I have been very successful with several kinds of chutney this season. And.drum roll here.my marmalade and jelly turned out perfect and set for first time ever.I am really chuffed and had many thank yous from my hubby.