Mincer...I am contemplating buying a

Page 1 / 2
hhb, May 19, 10:07am
mincer as quite often now steak is cheaper than mince and I would much rather mince decent rump than buy fat riddled rubbish cuts of mince that costs more. Just wondering if you have one do you really use it that much??....just don't want it to be another kitchen appliance that I "thought was good idea at the time".....and it sits at the back of a cupboard......

kuaka, May 19, 11:23am
I've got a mincer but I only use it to mince cooked meat, as in left over roast beef or lamb to make cottage or shepherds pie (or to mince pipis or mussels to make fritters).So it gets used irregularly, but it certainly does get used.I did try once to mince some steak but I found it wouldn't go through the mincer and gave up.I've also got one for my Kenwood, but haven't used it yet, and I seem to recall that the last time I used the Kenwood it sounded as though it was about to spit the dummy.

aktow, May 19, 5:14pm
we got a old hand mincer... my mum uses it to make her jams, i use it for making seafood patties,

cookessentials, May 19, 9:45pm
If you dont want to spend too much for another electrical appliance, why not buy a hand micer that you clamp to the table or bench?

fisher, May 19, 10:33pm
Yeah I got one... makes my burly for fishing and also my kahawhai and potato, mixed herb fish cakes... (after a good scrub out of course... never seen meat...:}

kuaka, May 19, 10:47pm
that's the sort I've got,but as I said, I found it wouldn't mince raw steak.

klc1, May 20, 12:03am
Saw Jamie Oliver mince up some meat using a food processor.He just used the knife blade in the main bowl.Looked pretty good.

kuaka, May 20, 12:20am
I think with a food processor, the meat will end up in tiny wee shreds more like little splinters rather than minced - depends on how fine you want it I guess.

beaker59, May 20, 1:25am
I have a #5 cast iron hand mincer they sell on TM though I got mine a few years back from a hardware store. I use it mainly to mince up game meat like Venison goat pork hare duck etc to mince meat well it needs to be really really cold as cold as possible without freezing. I have minced supermarket meat and it works the same I also mince ox kidney for an old family fav dish.

klc1, May 20, 5:36am
I don't know but he made a hamburger with it.Might try it in my Magimix.

ucanchoose, May 20, 5:45am
we have a hand mincer and it works quite well, although the husband's arm does get a bit sore after mincing 4kg of pork three times!We made sausages so the meat had to be minced as finely as possible, so used all 3 sized plates, with the smallest used as the meat went into the casing.
We're thinking seriously about getting an electric mincer to make the whole process quicker and easier, but it's on the back burner until we perfect our sausage recipe.

hhb, May 20, 10:07am
mincer as quite often now steak is cheaper than mince and I would much rather mince decent rump than buy fat riddled rubbish cuts of mince that costs more. Just wondering if you have one do you really use it that much!.just don't want it to be another kitchen appliance that I "thought was good idea at the time".and it sits at the back of a cupboard.

kuaka, May 20, 11:23am
I've got a mincer but I only use it to mince cooked meat, as in left over roast beef or lamb to make cottage or shepherds pie (or to mince pipis or mussels to make fritters).So it gets used irregularly, but it certainly does get used.I did try once to mince some steak but I found it wouldn't go through the mincer and gave up.I've also got one for my Kenwood, but haven't used it yet, and I seem to recall that the last time I used the Kenwood it sounded as though it was about to spit the dummy.

aktow, May 20, 5:14pm
we got a old hand mincer. my mum uses it to make her jams, i use it for making seafood patties,

knowsley, May 20, 7:18pm
We use ours a lot for making sausages. Hard to beat home made ones. I have to admit, if I only need a small amount of mince for a recipe, I'll just use the Magimix though.

cookessentials, May 20, 9:45pm
If you dont want to spend too much for another electrical appliance, why not buy a hand micer that you clamp to the table or bench!

pickles7, May 20, 9:52pm
I have a George Foremanmincer. Well worth the cost. I cut the meat in strips before putting in the freezer, for a few minutes, before putting through the mincer. I have found a great place to buy my seasonings and cases from,for sausages, and salami's.We did buy a cheaper one but used it once, took it back. The place I got that from must be selling those on here. I am so glad I got a full refund.

fisher, May 20, 10:33pm
Yeah I got one. makes my burly for fishing and also my kahawhai and potato, mixed herb fish cakes. (after a good scrub out of course. never seen meat.:}

kuaka, May 20, 10:47pm
that's the sort I've got,but as I said, I found it wouldn't mince raw steak.

ashanti, May 21, 12:27am
We bought a second hand kenwood chef cake mixer with a mincer attachment, we mince all our meat for sausages through it plus mince topside for mince dishes, have to be careful to take as much tendon/tissue out as possible as it glugs up the blade, usually have to stop mincer a few times and clean it out and start it again, but it saves doing it with a hand mincer. Found hand mincer damaged the edge of any bench or table we clamped it to, even with a padding of cloth or paper under the clamps.

ashanti, May 21, 12:28am
Dunninghams is a good place to get butchery stuff from, like casings. and spice mixes.

pickles7, May 21, 1:28am
Yes, they do clog up a bit. Try partially freezing the meat??

klc1, May 21, 5:36am
I don't know but he made a hamburger with it.Might try it in my Magimix.

ucanchoose, May 21, 5:45am
we have a hand mincer and it works quite well, although the husband's arm does get a bit sore after mincing 4kg of pork three times!We made sausages so the meat had to be minced as finely as possible, so used all 3 sized plates, with the smallest used as the meat went into the casing.
We're thinking seriously about getting an electric mincer to make the whole process quicker and easier, but it's on the back burner until we perfect our sausage recipe.

knowsley, May 21, 6:07am
If you have the budget, I thoroughly recommend the Kenwood MG700 mincer. I originally had the entry level MG450 and it was ok, but as others have said, clogging was an issue. The MG700 has a much more powerful motor and breezes through everything effortlessly.