Afghans

tarshlove, May 18, 2:19am
Gimme your best recipe I have tired the edmonds cookbook for flatties ones which were good and one recipe from here which I like however didn't have enuf cocoa powder in them. Have changed this and are good too but I want the best ones lol. :o)

kinna54, May 18, 4:56am
Still like the old Edmonds one, but I made a drastic cocoa change, bought signature range, boy what a difference, it actually looks like cocoa! nice and rich. The quality of the cocoa makes such a difference.

sticky3, May 18, 4:58am
I second the Signature Range Cocoa - lovely and dark and a very good price and without lumps too!

kinna54, May 18, 5:08am
Tarshlove there is a local dutch baker here that is famed for adding a cognac flavouring to his afghans. I have disected them ta da, and think it is added to his icing, as the icing he uses is like a shiny glace' sauce, which hardens like a choc dip. My guess is he uses a choc melt product containing kremelta and adds the flavouring to that. Next step is ... where t buy thr flavouring??keep you posted!

tarshlove, May 19, 12:07am
Oh thanks heaps I had a looksee on here for recipes a few weeks ago and this is the one i used but upped the cocoa powder

Afghans.
150 grams unsalted butter softened, (can use normal butter),
1/3 cup lightly packed soft brown sugar,
1 egg lightly beaten,
1 teaspoon vanilla essence,
1 cup plain flour,
2 tablespoons cocoa powder,
1 / 3 cup desiccated coconut,
1 1/2 cups lightly crushed cornflakes and
1 / 2 cup dark chocolate bits or Choc Icing for the topping.
Preheat oven 180c, using electric beaters, cream butter & sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
Add the beaten egg & vanilla essence & beat well.
Sift flour and cocoa together and add to the mixture plus coconut & cornflakes.
Stir with a metal spoon until all the ingredients are just combined.
Put level tablespoons of mixture on baking trays allowing room for spreading.
Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned, remove from oven but leave on tray to cool completely.
Topping;
Place the choc bits in a small heatproof bowl.
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, then remove the saucepan from the heat.
Sit the bowl of choc bits over the saucepan, making sure the base of the bowl does not sit in the water.
Stir until the choc has melted and is smooth then spread over the top of each biscuit thickly and allow to set.
One can if they wish to add a nut in the middle of choc, this is optional.

Or a Chocolate icing made as Follows:-
2 Cups Icing Sugar and 1 tablespoon Cocoa sifted together into bowl, add ¼ teaspoon softened butter and a few drops of vanilla essence plus 2 tablespoons of water…
Mix together adding more water if required

tarshlove, May 19, 12:11am
Here is the Edmonds recipe

Afghans

200g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 & 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups cornflakes

Icing

2 cups icing sugar
2 tbs cocoa
1/4 tsp butter
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbs boiling water, approximately
walnuts for topping, optional

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift flour and cocoa. Stir into creamed mixture. Fold in cornflakes. Spoon mounds of mixture onto a greased oven tray, gently pressing the mixture together. Bake for 15 minutes or until set. When cold ice with chocolate icing.

To make the chocolate icing, sift icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Add butter and essence. Add sufficient boiling water to mix to a spreadable consistency. Decorate with a walnut if desired.

Makes 20.

daleaway, May 19, 12:11am
I third the stipulation for very good cocoa.. I like Droste or Van Houten.
And I find crumbled Weetbix instead of cornflakes gives a less tough result.

valentino, May 19, 1:56am
Tarshlove, try adding a wee bit of very finely grated dark chocolate when adding the beaten egg, gives that stronger choc taste esp for those that want that extra.
Say about 2 to 3 tablespoons at least.

Cheers.

rainrain1, May 19, 2:15am
I bought Pams cocoa the other day and it's very good......Edmonds afghans makes a bakers dozen :-)

tarshlove, May 19, 2:19am
Gimme your best recipe I have tired the edmonds cookbook for flatties ones which were good and one recipe from here which I like however didn't have enuf cocoa powder in them. Have changed this and are good too but I want the best ones lol. :o)

kinna54, May 19, 5:08am
Tarshlove there is a local dutch baker here that is famed for adding a cognac flavouring to his afghans. I have disected them ta da, and think it is added to his icing, as the icing he uses is like a shiny glace' sauce, which hardens like a choc dip. My guess is he uses a choc melt product containing kremelta and adds the flavouring to that. Next step is . where t buy thr flavouring!keep you posted!

tarshlove, May 20, 12:07am
Oh thanks heaps I had a looksee on here for recipes a few weeks ago and this is the one i used but upped the cocoa powder

Afghans.
150 grams unsalted butter softened, (can use normal butter),
1/3 cup lightly packed soft brown sugar,
1 egg lightly beaten,
1 teaspoon vanilla essence,
1 cup plain flour,
2 tablespoons cocoa powder,
1 / 3 cup desiccated coconut,
1 1/2 cups lightly crushed cornflakes and
1 / 2 cup dark chocolate bits or Choc Icing for the topping.
Preheat oven 180c, using electric beaters, cream butter & sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
Add the beaten egg & vanilla essence & beat well.
Sift flour and cocoa together and add to the mixture plus coconut & cornflakes.
Stir with a metal spoon until all the ingredients are just combined.
Put level tablespoons of mixture on baking trays allowing room for spreading.
Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned, remove from oven but leave on tray to cool completely.
Topping;
Place the choc bits in a small heatproof bowl.
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, then remove the saucepan from the heat.
Sit the bowl of choc bits over the saucepan, making sure the base of the bowl does not sit in the water.
Stir until the choc has melted and is smooth then spread over the top of each biscuit thickly and allow to set.
One can if they wish to add a nut in the middle of choc, this is optional.

Or a Chocolate icing made as Follows:-
2 Cups Icing Sugar and 1 tablespoon Cocoa sifted together into bowl, add ¼ teaspoon softened butter and a few drops of vanilla essence plus 2 tablespoons of water…
Mix together adding more water if required

I changed to 1/4 cup of cocoa

daleaway, May 20, 12:11am
I third the stipulation for very good cocoa. I like Droste or Van Houten.
And I find crumbled Weetbix instead of cornflakes gives a less tough result.

rainrain1, May 20, 2:15am
I bought Pams cocoa the other day and it's very good.Edmonds afghans makes a bakers dozen :-)