Hubby going bush for a week....

arch1978, May 12, 7:43pm
What can I make and freeze that will be easy for them to heat over a fire????
Made a mince chow mein....any other ideas?

darlingmole, May 12, 7:49pm
strewth you're lucky~!Well I'd probs make a beef stew, bacon hock soup with veges, savoury mince, curried or sausages in gravy.Basically anything that can easily be stirred around for reheating purposes and meaty because protein will fill him up.Enjoy the house, car, tv remotes and everything else to yourself for the week!!!!

malcovy, May 12, 8:15pm
That was my first thought too.You lucky woman.

mackenzie2, May 12, 8:46pm
I always make a big stew enough for 2 days with heaps of vege in it, I usually send those packet rices with him, Take frozen steak with him for the 1st few days meals, and for the last couple of days I send those Kaweka meals (buy them at countdown,) take off the packaging and it is just boil in the bag,

lizab, May 12, 11:07pm
bugger thinking about him ... what are you going to be doing with your week of peace!!!

lookin4adeal, May 13, 12:07am
I have cooked a corned beef lasts for lunches, salami, cans of tuna and packets of rice or pasta noodles etc. Enjoy your own time!!

mackenzie2, May 13, 12:16am
I guess it all depends on if they are walking in to a hut or driving to the hut, You can take spuds and other vege if they are driving... Or lots of packet and tinned options esp if the dont have to carry it........

beaker59, May 13, 12:43am
As Macenzie says it really depends on the type of trip and weight restrictions and cooking time limits.

Certainly if weight isn't an issue I cook a nice casserole then bottle it in large jars just like jam keeps fairly well certainly long enough for a week in the bush uncle bens rice is good though normal rice is easy enough to cook too my fav is to preboil allot of potatoes to take then fry the potatoes in butter and oil over the fire like chips thats a real treat after a hard day hunting. Another good one is Bacon and egg pie. Frozen peas are good too and heaps of fruit.

If weight is an issue well its all dried or concentrated calorie foods. I have allot of tips there as thats my more usual type of trip.

beaker59, May 13, 1:17am
Lightweight tramping diet I use a large stainless cup to cook it in you can get them from the warehouse for under $10 I can live out of that cup no need for pots pans or plates to eat out of cook in the cup and eat out of it too.

Breakfast: To a Ziploc bag add 3/4cup of porridge 2 tablespoons milk powder 2 teaspoons sugar and a good pinch of salt pinch of salt in the bush for breakfast bring 500ml of water to the boil add the ziploc and stir well stand for 5 min then eat its really nice and good for energy.

Snacks and lunch are all muesli bars nuts and dried fruit with lots of water.

Dinner Uncle bens rice is good with tinned fish or sliced salami I also like the packet pastameals. another fav is dried peas I take a ziploc bag add a half cup of potato flakes then half a packet of dried peas in the second packet which goes inside the potato flake one for convienience bring 500ml water to boil add dried peas and simmer 5 min until peas are cooked then add the potato flakes to the peas and water instant mash pototo and peassome salami and a cup of coffee and I am happy after a days hunting. I will open cans of sardines and put them in Ziploc bags to eat with my uncle bens rice thats a good evening meal. I supliment all these with collected watercress from around the campsites or hunting areas. I always carry tinfoil and cooking oil in case we get an animal then liver and kidneys are a welcome change to diet sometimes Eye fillet too mmmmmmmm

arch1978, May 13, 7:43pm
What can I make and freeze that will be easy for them to heat over a fire!
Made a mince chow mein.any other ideas!

darlingmole, May 13, 7:49pm
strewth you're lucky~!Well I'd probs make a beef stew, bacon hock soup with veges, savoury mince, curried or sausages in gravy.Basically anything that can easily be stirred around for reheating purposes and meaty because protein will fill him up.Enjoy the house, car, tv remotes and everything else to yourself for the week!

lizab, May 13, 11:07pm
bugger thinking about him . what are you going to be doing with your week of peace!

lookin4adeal, May 14, 12:07am
I have cooked a corned beef lasts for lunches, salami, cans of tuna and packets of rice or pasta noodles etc. Enjoy your own time!

mackenzie2, May 14, 12:16am
I guess it all depends on if they are walking in to a hut or driving to the hut, You can take spuds and other vege if they are driving. Or lots of packet and tinned options esp if the dont have to carry it.

beaker59, May 14, 12:43am
As Macenzie says it really depends on the type of trip and weight restrictions and cooking time limits.

Certainly if weight isn't an issue I cook a nice casserole then bottle it in large jars just like jam keeps fairly well certainly long enough for a week in the bush uncle bens rice is good though normal rice is easy enough to cook too my fav is to preboil allot of potatoes to take then fry the potatoes in butter and oil over the fire like chips thats a real treat after a hard day hunting. Another good one is Bacon and egg pie. Frozen peas are good too and heaps of fruit.

If weight is an issue well its all dried or concentrated calorie foods. I have allot of tips there as thats my more usual type of trip.