Quince paste

seanpenn, May 12, 4:24am
I've googled some recipes but the quantity varies so much and some recipes say cut in half and keep the peel and core whereas other say peel and chop into chunks. They don't mention whether to strain or is there not much liquid left over. I'm a newby to this so any ideas would be helpful.

joker13, May 12, 7:07am
HI, I peeled and chopped 3 kgsand just covered with water and simmered for 30 mins. Drain it and weigh it it will go down to around 2.5kg and add the same amount of sugar. Bring to a boil stirring from time to time it will splatter everywhere. SImmer for 1.5 hours and then when you scrape a window spoon across the saucepan you can see where it's been, Pour into a greased shallow tray and leave over night in an oven just turned onto dehydrate and set it.

cookessentials, May 12, 7:17am
You dont need to peel or core for making membrillo ( quince paste) Just make sure you wash off any "fur" that some of them have. Add just enough water to cover. Simmer for about 30 mins or until skin starts to collapse. Push mixture through a sieve. Add 450g of sugar for every 600ml of puree. Heat gently and stir occasionaly to help dissolve the suugar, then bring to the boil and cook gently for about 30-40 mins. Spread into slightly oiled dishes or a tray. It will keep for up to six onths in the fridge.

nanasee1, May 12, 8:28am
From a previous thread, I was really happy with the microwave version - will use this next year too.

I had 1.5 kg of quince, six small ones. I quartered them and added 1/2 c water & juice of two lemons & cooked them on high until softened. I then removed the cores & skin, much easier to do when they have softened. I put the remaining pulp into my blender then through a sieve. I measured 1 cup of sugar to one cup of pulp. I found 800ml of the mix cooked well in my 2 litre jug, about 20 minutes on high stirring regularly. It turns to a lovely ruby colour & set really quickly without additional drying in the oven. Best of all no splatters on the walls or me!

seanpenn, May 13, 4:24am
I've googled some recipes but the quantity varies so much and some recipes say cut in half and keep the peel and core whereas other say peel and chop into chunks. They don't mention whether to strain or is there not much liquid left over. I'm a newby to this so any ideas would be helpful.

joker13, May 13, 7:07am
HI, I peeled and chopped 3 kgsand just covered with water and simmered for 30 mins. Drain it and weigh it it will go down to around 2.5kg and add the same amount of sugar. Bring to a boil stirring from time to time it will splatter everywhere. SImmer for 1.5 hours and then when you scrape a window spoon across the saucepan you can see where it's been, Pour into a greased shallow tray and leave over night in an oven just turned onto dehydrate and set it.