Quince

millerz08, May 4, 8:06am
can quince be eaten as it is raw, is it only used in jams?

lindylambchops1, May 4, 8:22am
I reckon you would break your jaw bone & teeth eating quince raw...but hey, you can always give it a go!

olwen, May 4, 8:26am
The Owl and the Pussycat apparently dined on slices of quince which they ate with a runcible spoon.

My quince are too hard to eat raw but you can have them as stewed fruit.

Somewhere I heard a suggestion that in hot climates quince become soft.

amazing_grace, May 4, 8:40am
I bake mine.....Peel and halve each quince, scoop out the core.Put in a buttered oven dish cut side up, pour over a couple of glasses of water, and about 1/2c brown sugar.Sprinkle some cinnamon if you like it, put knobs of butter into each quince core.Bake about 3/4hr. Serve hot or cold

katalin2, May 4, 9:09am
I bake them in orange juice and brown sugar as above.

millerz08, May 4, 9:25am
Thanks for that, I saw them at a local honesty box where I get my apples.
Had no idea what they were used for other than jam. May get some next time, and have a go at baking them.

lindylambchops1, May 4, 9:39am
I love that rhyme, had it on kids wall in bedroom, often recited it to them at bedtime.

millerz08, May 5, 8:06am
can quince be eaten as it is raw, is it only used in jams!

lindylambchops1, May 5, 8:22am
I reckon you would break your jaw bone & teeth eating quince raw.but hey, you can always give it a go!

amazing_grace, May 5, 8:40am
I bake mine.Peel and halve each quince, scoop out the core.Put in a buttered oven dish cut side up, pour over a couple of glasses of water, and about 1/2c brown sugar.Sprinkle some cinnamon if you like it, put knobs of butter into each quince core.Bake about 3/4hr. Serve hot or cold