Cleaning glass surfaces. I suck.

olwen, May 1, 4:12am
The mirrors, windows etc here are all dreadful.Just tried cleaning some with meths and a clean (washed) chux cloth which didn't improve them.What are your best tips for cleaning filthy glass surfaces?

tilane, May 1, 4:16am
spray bottle with water and newspaper works for me

jessie981, May 1, 4:24am
Biff the chux& use piece of thin towelling. Years ago old baby napkins were the best to use.

petal1955, May 1, 9:25am
Damp cloth then a piece of screwed up newspaper....cheap......effect-
ive..and easy

beaker59, May 1, 9:54am
Newspaper, newspaper, newspaper can't beat it.

eladem, May 1, 10:06am
All the above work well, but for quickness- especially on windows,buy a small hand squeegee , you know the ones professionals use, some have a sponge applicator incorporated . you only need a squirt of dishwashing liquid in bucket of water.Wash window or glass with sponge and squeegee off. Really good for showers too.

olwen, May 2, 4:12am
The mirrors, windows etc here are all dreadful.Just tried cleaning some with meths and a clean (washed) chux cloth which didn't improve them.What are your best tips for cleaning filthy glass surfaces!

jessie981, May 2, 4:24am
Biff the chux& use piece of thin towelling. Years ago old baby napkins were the best to use & white vinegar. I had a cleaning person once who used Pledge on my mirrors. Took me ages to get the polish off.

petal1955, May 2, 9:25am
Damp cloth then a piece of screwed up newspaper.cheap.effect-
ive.and easy

beaker59, May 2, 9:54am
Newspaper, newspaper, newspaper can't beat it.

sarahj1, May 2, 9:54pm
From "Stainless" book by Oz cleaning guru Shannon Lush:
spray bottle half filled with white vinegar and topped up with water (water stops vinegar evaporating too quickly so you have time to wipe off dirt before it dries) Use with paper towels.
Works great on mirrors - we have one which always looks streaky if we use anything else.
She says the newspaper tip is from the days when newspaper ink had "lamp black" in it which was a good glass polish, but modern ink has latex, which creates smears instead!