Choko's

marlin9, Apr 30, 4:36am
I have got some of these and i thought I had a recipe for Choko Chutney but can not find it can anybody help me with one OR any other ideas to use them.

jills3, Apr 30, 5:06am
Have just checked in my old Aunt Daisy cooking book,here are a few choco recipes, if interested ask me and I will type whatever you want out.
Choko and carrot jam,Choko and passionfruit,Choko and pineapple jam,Choko tree tomato jam.Just yesterday I say chokos at vegie shop . 80c each.

margyr, Apr 30, 5:27am
Hi there, just on the left is a box headed message board, Recipes, in the keyword or member box just type in choko chutney and then in the date posted box click on the little arrow on the right and then anytime, then click search. I use them in soups, roast them, cook with carrots and mash, loads of uses.

marlin9, Apr 30, 8:21am
@ jills at that price I have $30.00 worth.

@ margyr will do that - have found one using Google

marlin9, May 1, 12:12am
I have a batch of Choko Chutney on the stove - hoping it turns out great.

anne1955, May 1, 12:29am
Choko yummy roasted, in AU they use them in jam etc as a filler as they take on what ever flavour they put with..roasted they are justanother nice roasted vegie and in fruit salad they take that flavour on Love them to to expensive to by down in the deep south if you can get them..yummy..

parsondian, May 1, 10:26pm
I've posted this before, its a little blurb I've written about the Choko with some menu ideas towards the bottom, hope you find it informative.

FACT FILESechium edule
Native of Central America, but now growing in tropical and subtropical regions around the globe.
Grows as the fruit from a vine, belonging to the cucurbita or gourd family (like cucumber, melon, pumpkin and zucchini).
Texture is crisp and apple-like when raw, retaining shape when soft and cooked.
Taste is a mild cross between zucchini and daikon.
Available especially from late summer until early winter. In frost- free warm climes, choko vines will bear fruit pretty much throughout the year.
NZ history: introduced early on with white settlers, chokos gained popularity thanks to their easy growing conditions and prodigious production (one vine can deliver more than 100 kg of fruit in one season). Traditionally boiled until soft and covered with a white sauce, it did little to impress recent generations of New Zealanders growing up with it as childhood fare. As a result, the fruit now makes only a brief and marginal appearance in NZ markets from April to June.

BASIC HANDLING
Select specimens that are not heavily creased (to avoid wastage when peeling), firm to the touch, unblemished, and with a bright jade-green colour.
Store refrigerated, lightly covered to prevent drying out. Keeps for weeks under those conditions.
Handle with care. Although the fruit looks sturdy, it can blemish easily.
Prepare by peeling away the tough skin (unless specimens are really small and young). Do not discard the central seed: it can be cooked along with the rest of the fruit or, if you have fruit in abundance, separated out and dealt with as a nut (eg, for pesto and tarator like sauces).

MENU TIPS
Raw, choco is edible, but coats the palate with a raw potato feel. The unpleasant sensation disappears when choko is lightly salted, left to “sweat”, and then rinsed. The crispness, however, remains, making choko a good candidate for fresh and pungent Southeast Asian style shredded salads and relishes. Alternatively, turn into a remoulade like celeriac or into a light pickle or a salsa.
Lightly cooked, choko is as versatile and tasty as zucchini and can be cooked in much the same way. Try not only steamed or stirfried, but also lightly flour-coated and made into shoestring fries or cut into thin wedges and tempurah-battered.
Because choko combines good texture with a mild flavour, it is a good vehicle for punchy, rich flavours (chilli, garlic, blue cheese), but not for subdued ones which make choko taste flabby and bland (eg, the white sauce treatment).
Prolonged cooking has been a traditional way of dealing with choko, but has little to recommend it. Roasting does not really work, as choko lacks natural sugars for caramelization, and braising in stock, like boiling, turns it glassy and insipid. Stuffing and baking it is another traditional favourite, but mostly, it seems, for reasons of shape rather than taste. Yet, as part of a dense, ratatouille-style vegetable stew or coconut-rich vegetable curry, choko performs well, absorbing flavour, while providing textural contrast.

anne1955, May 2, 12:29am
Choko yummy roasted, in AU they use them in jam etc as a filler as they take on what ever flavour they put with.roasted they are justanother nice roasted vegie and in fruit salad they take that flavour on Love them to to expensive to by down in the deep south if you can get them.yummy.

parsondian, May 2, 10:26pm
I've posted this before, its a little blurb I've written about the Choko with some menu ideas towards the bottom, hope you find it informative.

FACT FILESechium edule
Native of Central America, but now growing in tropical and subtropical regions around the globe.
Grows as the fruit from a vine, belonging to the cucurbita or gourd family (like cucumber, melon, pumpkin and zucchini).
Texture is crisp and apple-like when raw, retaining shape when soft and cooked.
Taste is a mild cross between zucchini and daikon.
Available especially from late summer until early winter. In frost- free warm climes, choko vines will bear fruit pretty much throughout the year.
NZ history: introduced early on with white settlers, chokos gained popularity thanks to their easy growing conditions and prodigious production (one vine can deliver more than 100 kg of fruit in one season). Traditionally boiled until soft and covered with a white sauce, it did little to impress recent generations of New Zealanders growing up with it as childhood fare. As a result, the fruit now makes only a brief and marginal appearance in NZ markets from April to June.

BASIC HANDLING
Select specimens that are not heavily creased (to avoid wastage when peeling), firm to the touch, unblemished, and with a bright jade-green colour.
Store refrigerated, lightly covered to prevent drying out. Keeps for weeks under those conditions.
Handle with care. Although the fruit looks sturdy, it can blemish easily.
Prepare by peeling away the tough skin (unless specimens are really small and young). Do not discard the central seed: it can be cooked along with the rest of the fruit or, if you have fruit in abundance, separated out and dealt with as a nut (eg, for pesto and tarator like sauces).

MENU TIPS
Raw, choco is edible, but coats the palate with a raw potato feel. The unpleasant sensation disappears when choko is lightly salted, left to “sweat”, and then rinsed. The crispness, however, remains, making choko a good candidate for fresh and pungent Southeast Asian style shredded salads and relishes. Alternatively, turn into a remoulade like celeriac or into a light pickle or a salsa.
Lightly cooked, choko is as versatile and tasty as zucchini and can be cooked in much the same way. Try not only steamed or stirfried, but also lightly flour-coated and made into shoestring fries or cut into thin wedges and tempurah-battered.
Because choko combines good texture with a mild flavour, it is a good vehicle for punchy, rich flavours (chilli, garlic, blue cheese), but not for subdued ones which make choko taste flabby and bland (eg, the white sauce treatment).
Prolonged cooking has been a traditional way of dealing with choko, but has little to recommend it. Roasting does not really work, as choko lacks natural sugars for caramelization, and braising in stock, like boiling, turns it glassy and insipid. Stuffing and baking it is another traditional favourite, but mostly, it seems, for reasons of shape rather than taste. Yet, as part of a dense, ratatouille-style vegetable stew or coconut-rich vegetable curry, choko performs well, absorbing flavour, while providing textural contrast.