What is wheatmeal?

coolcabbage, Apr 30, 2:27am
OK,so I am no Martha Stewart but have an anzac biscuit recipe that has wheatmeal in it but can't find any and don't even know what it is.What can I replace it with?I thought anzacs had oats or something course in them?Hold your laughter please. lol

pom-pom, Apr 30, 3:12am
Wheatmeal means the same as brown – any brown flour that is not a wholemeal. Like wholewheat, the term wheatmeal has been largely abolished but if you see it in a recipe it will mean a lighter weight brown.

buzzy110, Apr 30, 5:48am
Same here. In my experience a traditional Anzac biscuit is made with oats but I guess there are always variations on the theme. Find an Edmond's recipe book. The best Anzac recipe is in there and it does not have ingredients with obscure names in it.

I think cooksessential wrote one time that Anzac biscuits were any biscuit that were sturdy enough to withstand the transportation time, handling and distance they had to travel to reach our boys overseas during the war and still be fresh and edible on arrival (or something like that). That always sounded good to me. So maybe your recipe was one of those sorts of biscuits.

coolcabbage, Apr 30, 9:28am
Thank you so much.I was feeling very silly thinking I couldn't find it at the supermarket.Will go with Edmonds.Cheers:)