Scales

sam1523, Apr 27, 8:16am
recommendations for best electronic scales please-have brought some home today but they cant be turned off so new batteries would be needed often!!!! wanting ones that weigh up to 5kgs and has old and new measurements-thanks

kuaka, Apr 27, 9:22am
I've got some Salter - think they only go up to 2kg - but they switch off automatically after 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity.

cookessentials, Apr 27, 9:22am
What do you mean, they cant be turned off? Many of the digital scales stay on for a little while, then switch off. Salter are one of the best or Soehnle.
Salter dosome that weight up to 5kg and also 10kg. Mosy of them are aquatronic...which means they weigh liquid as well as dry. They are usually in kg/g or Lbs/oz...you can switch between the two. Some of them have an "add and weigh" function which means you can measure one item,then zero the scale back and add the next item in with the first and get an accurate measurement fro the second item which is great because you just use the one bowl.
http://www.kerrcowan.co.nz/categories/display/43if you scroll down this page on the link given, you will see the digital 5kg scales available. Kerr Cowan will be able to put you in touch with someone in your area that sells them. Be prepared to pay around $80-$90, you will be getting a very good set of scales for that price.

n00dle, Apr 27, 9:34am
Have you checked the instructions?I thought I couldn't turn mine off, but it turned out I had to hold my finger on the power switch for about 4 seconds.

cookessentials, Apr 27, 9:38am
These are the ones I have and they stay on for a little before switching themselves off. They weigh up to 10kg and I can read them without my glasses LOL.
http://www.kerrcowan.co.nz/Products/view/479

nzhel, Apr 28, 12:12am
I had some cheapy HomeBrand ones from KMart and they would automatically switch off (like most of them do) but much too soon - say around a minute which was a nuisance when adding things to the same bowl. Better to pay a little more and get a better brand which I now have and they stay on for longer. They can be switched off manually also.

wron, Apr 30, 10:45am
I followed the kerrcowan link but those Salter scales only weigh in 5g increments. I prefer 1g models eg I made a hot cross bun recipe from a new book (The Cook and the Baker) that used 10g of instant yeast which comes in 8g packs - I suppose I could have used 1 and a bit packs though! But we males like to be as accurate as possible!

cookessentials, Apr 30, 8:04pm
Depends on the scales, as my Salter scales weighs in 1g increments.

greerg, Apr 30, 9:41pm
I have Salter 5 kg by 1 grm ones and they are excellent.Flybuys have them for 530 points as well.