Help please, what have I done wrong ?

appletrees, Apr 25, 12:05am
I have never made Afghan biscuits before. Thought I've give it a go. However I just have a big bowl of 'crumbly mixture' that wont hold together to put on the baking tray ?! I measured everything exactly as in recipe (Edmonds). Double checked by looking at 2 other afghan recipes....help please. Could I throw in an egg to help bind it ? lol I don't want to bin the ingredients.

margyr, Apr 25, 12:10am
add perhaps a little bit more butter, but it is a crumbly mix and you just work it till it squishes together, dont add an egg.

elliehen, Apr 25, 12:11am
Don't add an egg...just add a little milk, squeeze them together and they'll be fine.

appletrees, Apr 25, 12:16am
thanks, I added a bit of milk,it was a big help :)

robyn35, Apr 25, 12:42am
I always use a little more butter than the recipe states roughly 15g more and they come out great

poppy500, Apr 25, 3:47am
Hi
Don't add too much extra liquid until you have handled the mixture well- work it it in your hands rpeatedly. The heat of your hands will melt the butter, work it well. If it is still too dry then add butter etc.

appletrees, Apr 26, 12:05am
I have never made Afghan biscuits before. Thought I've give it a go. However I just have a big bowl of 'crumbly mixture' that wont hold together to put on the baking tray !! I measured everything exactly as in recipe (Edmonds). Double checked by looking at 2 other afghan recipes.help please. Could I throw in an egg to help bind it ! lol I don't want to bin the ingredients.

elliehen, Apr 26, 12:11am
Don't add an egg.just add a little milk, squeeze them together and they'll be fine.

poppy500, Apr 26, 3:47am
Hi
Don't add too much extra liquid until you have handled the mixture well- work it it in your hands rpeatedly. The heat of your hands will melt the butter, work it well. If it is still too dry then add butter etc.