Slightly OT But noticed prices Generally speaking

Page 1 / 2
valentino, Apr 23, 10:40pm
Yesterday, decided to take students on a good day tripping from Auckland to Rotorua and Taupo. Firstly, some places seems to hike prices like Skyline to over $50 er person plus luge costs, Taupo BP do not sell 95 anymorehence 98 is only option if using 95 and is a lot greater in price per litre (but is more efficient, but 95 was close in efficiency) comment being that 95 is being phased out, hmmm. Prices of general foods like Burger King etc have gone up and variety of choice is being more limited. Access to a number of things greatly limited as a number of places cannot afford to stock or is getting profit-wise inpracticle. Oh, well, need to really have priority sorted more so these days especially for those whom income remains static, thank goodness for these students making ceratin things attainable as without them, one will be stuck at home 24/7 hence thinking of others.

Oh, another thing, Power, water etc have gone up again.

Be nice to know what others do or think.

Cheers everyone and hopefully all of you are enjoying this Easter.

buzzy110, Apr 23, 11:19pm
I agree that some items that were stock items in my local p-n-s are now not available (Naturalea whole organic milk, Tararua butter, for example) which is annoying. I only use premium so couldn't give a toss about 95 being phased out. Premium is cheaper in the end because my engine likes it better so maintenance is reduced. Engine maintenance is a huge cost that many people do not factor into their calculations when it comes to fuel prices and so cheat themselves in the long run.

As to BK and other fast foods, well I do not think of them as"general food" more like a 'once-every-5-years" thing so if the prices are up, well it shouldn't affect most people's budget.

I notice that prices have increased hugely but I save in other areas. I've learned how to grow a garden, make my own compost and I supply most of our daily vegetable and fruit from my garden. Meat is more expensive and this is a major worry for all NZers. It is an important part of our diet and it is sad that people cannot afford enough of it anymore and are making do with cheap carbohydrates instead.

But it is a good thing that sugar and sugary foods are increasing in price imo.

kuaka, Apr 23, 11:25pm
Well my sister phoned from the UK yesterday (she phones most weekends) and I asked her how much she pays for butter.She said she can no longer buy NZ butter, but she buys "premium" butter at about one pound 25p (about $2.50) for 250gm and the el cheapo homebrand type stuff for about 95p for 250gm (around $2)I have to wonder why we have to pay so much and the price is set to increase yet again.

darlingmole, Apr 23, 11:28pm
*nods head sadly*My husband told me to stop baking and just buy cakes/muffins/slices ... flour and sugar have gone up, power has gone and he thinks is more economical to just buy it (haven't relented on this one yet).We are having even more meatless meals and when we do have meat I stretch it out as much as I can.Lentils have once again become a staple in my home providing many soup and loaf dishes.I guess the one up side of being poor is that one becomes more resourceful and inventive~!Hope everyone is having a blessed Easter time

pickles7, Apr 24, 12:11am
I am finding the same in our local P N Save.... buzzy110.... I put it down to the cost of keeping a 3 mil Yacht, on the high sea . Not stocking the less profit, foodstuffs. Pushing for higher profits, by forcing out the competition.
I had another rumble over mushrooms, brown mushrooms $8.89 a kg on sale, to get $8.89 to come up on the ticket I had to push the flat white button. The brown mushroom button, priced out at $9.89. I find the most discrepancies in the fresh veg. areas. I got to talking to an other lady, she was getting a bit miffed as well, said she too is catching them out all the time.
Most things to do with Easter eg. buns, some Easter eggs were up in price, up to $1.00, as there stocks got lower.We are lucky and can shop around a bit, one thing we have done over the last few months is to buy our meat from a butcher. If we are not careful we will have that choice, taken away from us.

pickles7, Apr 24, 12:13am
Heck, worse than food going up, my nickers have tooooo ..

pickles7, Apr 24, 1:41am
From $2.00 to $6.00. Darn it the last time I bought some I got 10 pairs for $20.00. I just won't be buying so many again at one time. Maybe.

raewyn64, Apr 24, 2:27am
better they are going up than coming down???? lol

elliehen, Apr 24, 2:47am
...or getting in a twist ;)

prawn_whiskas, Apr 24, 3:21am
BP has not sold 95 for about 5 /6 years, they changed it the year I bought my 2 seater sports car, was fantastic because the old girl needed that higher octane, but would hate to be running a car on it now at close to $2.40ltr!

pickles7, Apr 24, 3:24am
lol,both of you.

kuaka, Apr 24, 11:56am
good grief pickles, where do you buy your knickers?I bought some a couple of weeks back at the Red Shed, and they were $7.79 a pair which was a 40% discount on the normal price.I wouldn't mind if they were huge granny bloomers, but it seems they get smaller all the time (or maybe my bum just gets bigger!) and the price just keeps going up.Worse still you have to be careful that you don't end up with "boy leg" ones, which seems to be about 70% of the stock - and I hate them.

shaun16, Apr 24, 7:17pm
they do still sell 95, its available at all stores that dont have 98
http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9032378&contentId=7059071

frag, Apr 24, 7:58pm
mmm

frag, Apr 24, 8:01pm
If she is paying $2.50 for 250gms lt would cost $5 for 500gms which is our standard pound of butter. Not any cheaper than here then?

valentino, Apr 24, 8:48pm
Bought BK as students prefer that or subway..... but thoughts on prices re those ride or visit places, not sure on certain fun rides or thrill seeking (lower level-standards) at other locations. Agree with 98 being more efficient petrol than 95 and 91 but would hate the thought of buying a 2nd hand vehicle that has been cheated with use of 91 when 95 is the norm - not 91.
with butter prices, our milk prices are too dear in comparison to cheeses and butter prices but butter looks as though it will rise in prices with the excuse of regaining that comparitiveness, likewise cheeses. If one makes cheeses - one will understand I think.
But it is the other foodstuffs that are rising like fish, meats, veges etc....as power and fuel costs are being passed on then the local and central governments will increase their lot and the ball keeps rolling.... Pity those on Fixed incomes though !!!!

Cheers, oh bugger with that rain today.

kuaka, Apr 24, 8:53pm
frag - butter was on "special" this week at my local countdown supermarket.$4.49 for 500gm which was supposed to be a saving of $1.20 which makes the usual price $5.69 and it's supposed to be increasing again, and the price my sister said the prices she quoted me were the normal price not the special price, when it's on special she said she can buy the premium stuff for one pound sterling for 250gm and the el cheapo for 75-80p.It is cheaper than ours.

toadfish, Apr 24, 11:01pm
I have seemed to have had a buffer from all these price rises by stocking up on things when they have a huge super special.The shampoo & Conditioner was almost half price at foodtown a couple of weeks ago so I brought 5 of each... My theory is in the long run you don't need to buy it week by week at the higher price and use the same amount. Same with meat.. every week the supermarket has a really good meat special.. I buy 10 or so meals worth of them.. this way the freezer is groaning with everything at the best price. I keep an eye out on the KMart and Warehouse brochures which often have facewash or feminine products by 2 get one free... again I stock up at the lower price.

We have a saying in this house.. "you have to have money to save money"
Its sad but people who most need help, live from week to week and can't afford to buy $100 worth of something because its on a super special... It does even out though... the week you buy 10 of one thing you don't have to buy any of 5 or more things as you stocked up in previous weeks.If I need something and its not a good deal I either go without or just buy enough to keep me going till it does come around... most things are on special at some stage... works for me as I having been doing it so long now it evens itself out and while I might spend $100 on boneless chicken... I don't need to buy much else as my cupboards are full from previous specials.... make sense?

Also my family like to eat out for special occaisions.. and we keep this to the minimum by the entertainment book.. and in particular swapping with friends so we can have 2 coupons to uses for the 4 of us.. and just lately we have brought a few of those one day deals... Had a fab night out at Wildfire with friends for hubbys birthday at half the normal prices... Have brought Troy vouchers to use for Miss soon to be 17's birthday.. a Fab all inclusive birthday night out for the 4 of us for $138 inclusing 2 drinks each... And my latest was Cooked Breakfast and coffee at our local deli for the 4 of us for $39... Without the coupons these all would have been at least twice the price.We are going to use the Breakfast ones for Mothers day and probably go the week befores so its not so crowded... You don't need a date to celebrate things.... just need to be all together as a family.... So we are not going out any extra but we are saving money for when we would normally go out for a meal.

Anyhoo I digress... but these are some ways I am being buffered from the price rises.....

beaker59, Apr 24, 11:46pm
Not sure about prices but I have noticed our total family shop has reduced significantly recently used to average about $220 last few months has rarely gone over $200 and is probably averaging $170 mind you the veg garden has had a bumper crop over late summer and have been catching plenty of fish.

As an aside I noticed our high fish diet over the last few months has meant my finger and toenails have been growing like topsy.

Another smoked fish pie last night mmmmmmmm deliscioso

kuaka, Apr 25, 12:00am
toadfish - I'm pleased I'm not the only one who does this, I have a freezer full of meat/chicken bought on "special" and the pantry likewise is full of tea bags, sugar, tinned goods etc bought on special.I seem to buy very little at the full price.It's the only way I can make ends meet.

pickles7, Apr 25, 5:17am
We work on the fact that nothing is as cheap, as it is today...Why leave $20.00 in your bank if something is on sale, next week you could pay out another $5.00... No bank pays that sort of interest!!!!

nfh1, Apr 25, 5:30am
Me too toadfish - my cupboards are overflowing with shampoo, deodorant, shower gels etc.Chest freezer ram jam full as is pantry - I love a bargain - drives my husband mad when he sees how much stuff there is!

toadfish, Apr 25, 6:31am
What's nice when you have everything chocca.. if you want to save for something special or to go away somewhere nice you can have a few weeks of only buying fresh stuff and living off the reserves.. we are doing that at the moment.. my grocery/everyday moneyseems to be going on Ball Dress's.. shoes... hair etc.... so we are living out of the freezer and cupboards for a couple of weeks ...just buying fresh fruit and veg... the family are none the wiser.lol.

kuaka, Apr 25, 11:23am
and even though hubby complains sometimes along the lines of "do we really need to have 600 teabags on hand" or "why do we have half a dozen cans of ??? when we only use them rarely" he doesn't complain on the odd occasion when I've been unwell and he's had to take on the cooking/housework duties, 'cos if our pantry wasn't so full he would have had to go grocery shopping and he detests that.

nfh1, Apr 25, 11:39am
I buy for Justin.

Just in case it is not on offer next week.Just in case I don't have time to go shopping, or something happens, or my parents are sick and I have to return to the UK urgently etc etc

So Justin Case will never starve in this house!