Hydroponic lettuces

didorothy, Apr 22, 11:21am
Is there a secret to keeping these? Every time I buy one I carefully place the roots in water, and by the next morning the leaves are wilting. What should I do to keep them perky?

winnie15, Apr 22, 11:50am
i leave mine int he bag it comes in, and place it in the vege drawer of my fridge...perhaps they don't like their feet wet?

elliehen, Apr 22, 12:11pm
I'm with winnie...but hydroponic lettuces have very soft leaves to start with.I find that the ones that stay crisper longer are the curly endive.

pamellie, Apr 23, 12:25am
I grow all our lettuce, when I bring it in I wash it and then store what I don't need in an airtight container in the fridge. Stays fresh and crisp for days like this. You could try a few leaves and see how you go.

Make sure you buy the freshest one you can as they often look sad and limp on the supermarket shelf!

nauru, Apr 23, 4:07am
I do this too and find that it keeps very well that way.

smileeah, Apr 23, 4:47am
If you can be bothered washing and drying it when you get home (I use a lettuce spinner or a clean teatowel to spin dry), then it does keep really well in a container or ziplock bag. And bonus is it's ready for the table straight from the fridge.
I have even washed the leaves then laid them out on a clean teatowel and rolled the teatowel up to enclose it all. then put the teatowel into the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. Then just move leaves to container or bag. Cuts out the drying stage above.

elliehen, Apr 23, 5:39am
And lettuces do not like being stored next to apples.

didorothy, Apr 23, 11:21am
Is there a secret to keeping these! Every time I buy one I carefully place the roots in water, and by the next morning the leaves are wilting. What should I do to keep them perky!

winnie15, Apr 23, 11:50am
i leave mine int he bag it comes in, and place it in the vege drawer of my fridge.perhaps they don't like their feet wet!

elliehen, Apr 23, 12:11pm
I'm with winnie.but hydroponic lettuces have very soft leaves to start with.I find that the ones that stay crisper longer are the curly endive.

pamellie, Apr 24, 12:25am
I grow all our lettuce, when I bring it in I wash it and then store what I don't need in an airtight container in the fridge. Stays fresh and crisp for days like this. You could try a few leaves and see how you go.

Make sure you buy the freshest one you can as they often look sad and limp on the supermarket shelf!

smileeah, Apr 24, 4:47am
If you can be bothered washing and drying it when you get home (I use a lettuce spinner or a clean teatowel to spin dry), then it does keep really well in a container or ziplock bag. And bonus is it's ready for the table straight from the fridge.
I have even washed the leaves then laid them out on a clean teatowel and rolled the teatowel up to enclose it all. then put the teatowel into the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. Then just move leaves to container or bag. Cuts out the drying stage above.