Caterers

georgep31, Apr 19, 6:25am
Hoping someone out there has had more experience with caterers than me (zero !)
I have an event in October, that i want to be partly catered.
For cost reasons, i want to do some of the food myself. Is it possible to give the caterers a list of food you want (rather than them coming up with a menu) and they do all the cooking for you??

TIA

pickles7, Apr 19, 6:56am
I personally wouldn't touch the job. All or nothing.

murdoc4, Apr 19, 7:48am
As a caterer we have built a very good name and as a standard rule do not allow other food to contributed not prepared by ourselves due to food health and safety.If someone gets food poisoning guests will instantly look to the caterer for answers and their goes our good reputation down the drain.Hope this helps you understand our (a caterers) perspective : ) We work with our clients and arrange a menu that suits both parties, which most caterers I think aim to do...?If not keep looking around and give us a bell!

margyr, Apr 19, 7:48am
rather than go with a professional caterer contact your local rugby club, kindergarten, girl guides etc, the often do things like this for fund raising.

roys351, Apr 19, 8:42am
yes i know some schools do that aswell agree with all or nothing due to health regs wich are strict

lilyfield, Apr 19, 8:51am
its possible to hire a caterer just for the mains.

then you can serve desert a little later after they have left( coffee and cake)

kinna54, Apr 19, 9:50am
I did that years ago, in my mum's businees in my early catering trade, and would never touch it again. Ended up working our butts off trying to resurrect someone else's mistakes to save our reputation, and refused to serve some of the food presented, due to the way it had been stored. In this day and age with the health regulations its a lot to ask , no caterer wants a damaged reputation, a case of poisoning,or responsibility for errors.
A suggestion might be that you supply the menu, recipes andingredients and pay an hourly rate for a chef and waiting staff, but this could also end up costing you, unless you have a good wholesaler behind you.You would need to do a complete costing of all choices.

kinna54, Apr 19, 9:55am
Ps. As in the earlier post I have just thought of something that could be helpful: Here in Palmy the local polytech chef training centre offers chefs and waiting staff on a work experience basis, perhaps you could make enquiries thru your local education / training centres, and they would supply staff, and possibly a supervisor.

kob, Apr 19, 7:08pm
catering centres have to prepare food to a high quality standard, im not saying you wouldn't, but it is their reputation that will be at risk, if anything at all goes wrong with the food that is not catered by them, so therefore you may find it hard to get a caterer to accept only half a job.......good luck in your venture

georgep31, Apr 19, 10:11pm
Thank you for your opinions! I hadnt thought of it from the caterers point of view like that.
And great idea about local cooking schools... i shall look into it!

Can any of you lovely people recommend any caterers in the auckland region (central / west) that serves really good simple food, little fuss, little meat (lots of vegans here!)
I was thinking salads/ soups / breads/
I just have no idea where to start looking for all of this !

You guys are great!

cookessentials, Apr 20, 1:58am
http://www.gattings.co.nz/ they are in St Johns and have their own menu's or can do a set menu to suit your needs.

pickles7, Apr 20, 6:00am
I would hope not.
Should they be able undercut the work places these trainees need for work, after there training,,,,

duckmoon, Apr 20, 8:35am
I know that I do a dinner each year for 35-50people... and do a "part caterering" option...
I approached the local deli/cafe and requested that I have four different salads prepared - that will that many people...

they were happy to oblige... I arranged collection an hour before the meal, so that I didn't have to refridgerate them.

kinna54, Apr 20, 11:47am
pickles perhaps my explanation was incorrect. They do not "undercut" anyone, (and it would certainly not be my intention to advise taking business away from locals who also have to make a living,) this was simply an option I suggested as these people are training for a professional trade, and are often required to "out cater" to gain experience.(This is how we all learn).My intended suggestion was to use these people who are trained, and conversant with health and hygiene and safe food practices, rather than casual fundraisers, whilst also helping these people gain further experience.

roys351, Apr 20, 12:10pm
you could always get someonr to do a roast, i did that for a wedding one time and it went down a treat, they did have other nibbles through the night, i catered for100 odd people

bellter, Apr 20, 9:00pm
We did as you suggest 2 years ago for a silver wedding celebration - in Wellington unfortunately for you - but it can be done. We run 2 BBQs and did all the meat, chicken & fish while the excellent caterers provided salads, breads, vegetables, dressings and desserts. It went really well and the caterers were stunning! I have repeatedly recommended them (In-House Catering) to others since. Good luck!