Help Please!

dec1066, Apr 18, 9:52pm
My rather ambitious daughter is attempting to make a gateau opera which was a masterclass demo on Australian masterchef last December. The jaconde (the cake bit) dosent seem to be working.

The recipe is (from the website)

1. sift dry ingredients (150g almond meal, 60g flour, 150g icing sugar)
2. fold dry ingredients into 45g of melted butter and 4 egg yolks
3. whisk 4 egg whites to soft peaks with 40g castor sugar
4. fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites

The problem is that the egg yolk mix with the dry ingredients is like cookie dough.

We suspect that someone has made a typo. So any help or suggestions on how we can save it will be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise we will biff it and make a sponge!

davidt4, Apr 18, 10:07pm
The usual method of incorporating the egg whites mixture with the yolks mixture would be to do it in two stages.First take a quarter of the egg white mixture and fold it very thoroughly into the yolk mixture.This will loosen the dough.Then carefully fold the rest of the whites mixture in, using a large metal spoon and taking care not to squash any of the air out.

This system applies to any mixture that relies on beaten egg whites for leavening - souffles, sponge cakes, roulades etc.

dec1066, Apr 18, 10:18pm
Thank you David!!! I shall see if it works now
Not ambitious by the way.. Realistic!It's a pity my mum can't bake.

cgvl, Apr 18, 10:45pm
if it seems too dry I would loosen it with a little milk or water, Just a Tbsp at a time.
Also what size eggs, looks like it would be using large hen or duck eggs with no other liquid.

cgvl, Apr 18, 10:50pm
just looked up a recipe. suggests you take a third of egg white mix and beat it into the egg yolk mix, then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
the recipe I looked at was in imperial (old) measures and used 10 eggs

dec1066, Apr 18, 10:51pm
It's out of the oven and its perfect! Only another 20 or so steps to go.

dec1066, Apr 18, 10:53pm
Yes there are also eggs in the syrups and such. We have a metric recipe.