Baklava

reaperssoul, Apr 18, 5:39am
any one knows how to make the syrup for this,i get it right to a certain limit but then it goes down hill

i use
3 cups sugar
1 cup water

i let it boil,then simmer for 3min

then add 2 spoons of rose water 2 spoons honey

so what am i doing wrong as the baklava comes out to soggy

davidt4, Apr 18, 5:48am
You need to pour cold syrup over hot pastry.Make the syrup well in advance and put it in the fridge.

reaperssoul, Apr 18, 6:06am
thats what i do

how do you make yours

buzzy110, Apr 18, 7:09am
Do you put holes into the top of the pastry and slowly pour the syrup on so that it penetrates into the nuts? From memory that is what I used to do. And if there was too much syrup I didn't pour it all on. It shouldn't be swimming in syrup. It should be, "shrugs", I don't know how to describe it. You need enough syrup to stop it from being just a dry nut pie, but you don't need so much that it is drowning in syrup. And it is best if you can get the nuts to absorb the syrup as well.

Also, there is an element of sogginess with this dish - once again not too soggy, but softly soggy.

pickles7, Apr 18, 7:24am
I used honey, I just cannot find my book. I will go undo another box. It was scrumptious.

pickles7, Apr 18, 8:09am
Yep just asked my Husband, layered phyllo pastry with butter, then put the ground nuts on, sprinkle of sugar, cinnamon. Layered more phyllo, brushed the top with butter, We cut the top layer of phyllo into portions, than gave it a splashing of water. It took ages to cook, probably 1 & 3/4 hours. We would have taken the last 20 minutes with care. Reduce the temp after the first 30 minutes, probably near 150 deg C. May look a bit muddled but that is from memory. We did not make it often, as it was messy, and did take a bit of time to make.
The syrup was room temp, poured over soon after it was removed from the oven.
The syrup was simmered for 30 minutes,That could be your demise???It is not sticky enough. We used 1 cup of honey,1 cup of sugar, 3 cups of water.

reaperssoul, Apr 18, 8:13am
thanks,will try the steps mentioned

cookessentials, Apr 18, 8:53am
This is my recipe.

500g filo pastry
250g butter
250g walnut pieces
2 teaspoons cinnamon
55g (¼ cup) sugar
Syrup
110g (½ cup) sugar
125ml (½ cup) water
4 tablespoons clear honey
125ml (½ cup) lemon juice

Melt butter; grease 28cm x 18cm (11in x 7in) lamington tin. If necessary, cut pastry roughly to size of tin. (The packaged pastry can vary in size, depending on manufacturer.) Layer half the pastry (approximately 15 sheets) one on top of the other, brushing each layer with melted butter.
Cut into squares with a sharp knife, cutting right down to base; brush top pastry with butter. Bake at 180C for approximately 45 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
Combine finely chopped walnuts, cinnamon and sugar, sprinkle evenly over top layer. Fold over any untrimmed edges of pastry. Continue layering remaining pastry, again
brushing each layer with melted butter.
Syrup: Combine sugar, water, honey and lemon juice in pan, stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to boil. Pour hot syrup over baklava, leave overnight for syrup to be absorbed