Favourite spreads (for a breads'n'spreads platter)

Page 1 / 2
cosby, Apr 15, 1:57am
Just wondering what your yummiest savoury spreads/dips are to have with chunks of freshly baked focaccia/ciabatta/turkish bread etc?
I have a big list already but am having a mental block trying to remember other nice ones I've had at restaurants etc, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to jog my memory or give me a new idea that I haven't thought of.

davidt4, Apr 15, 2:03am
Beetroot & Yoghurt Dip

1 beetroot, cooked
½ c tahini
2 tab olive oil
juice 1 -2 lemons
small clove garlic
salt & pepper
1 c thick yoghurt

Purée beetroot, add all but yoghurt and amalgamate well.Beat in yoghurt.

Serve in flat bowl with oil and diced cumber on top.Serve with pita or Turkish bread

davidt4, Apr 15, 2:04am
White Bean & Almond Purée

800 g cooked cannelloni beans (tinned okay)
½ c ground almonds
1 tab lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
125 ml olive oil
1 tsp fresh oregano
salt

Process everything but oil together.When smooth beat in oil and process until creamy.

Heat gently, stirring.

Serve as side dish or as a dip.

cosby, Apr 15, 4:37am
Yum, those sound delicious thank you.

So far i'm thinking:
Cream cheese & sundried tomato
Cream cheese & chutney
Garlic butter
Pesto
Hummus
Sour cream & corn relish
Sour cream & gherkin relish
Olive oil & dukkah
Rasberry vinaigrette
Some sort of salmon or crab spread
Cheeseball
Lime infused olive oil
.......can't remember what else is on my list - I've left it somewhere!

Will make babaganoush if there's an eggplant at the supermarket tomorrow.
What flavours/tastes am i missing?
There's something niggling at me but I've no idea what it is.
I'd quite like another type of butter, maybe something lemony?

cosby, Apr 15, 4:42am
Oh, and I've just added the ingredients for your recipes on my shopping list davidt (well, the things I don't already have - a beetroot & cannelloni beans) as I think they'll both be excellent additions to my list. Thanks again.

kay141, Apr 15, 4:50am
Tapenade?

nzl99, Apr 15, 4:52am
I like a good evoo with balsamic glaze in it... sooo goood... maybe some dukkah...

cosby, Apr 15, 5:00am
Excellent! Ta

kay141, Apr 15, 5:03am
You are welcome. One of my favourites I bought some last week at the market. It came from Hawkes Bay and I got plain and garlic flavoured.

cosby, Apr 15, 5:04am
Yup, got dukkah on there and totally agree with your balsamic/evoo idea, both of which are in my pantry (have the most devine balsamic drizzle), so will do that. Cheers :)

cosby, Apr 15, 5:05am
Mmmmm, now you're making me hungry!
Sound so nice, and I'm a real olive fan.

kay141, Apr 15, 5:11am
They were. I had to taste a lot of samples of both the oil and tapenade to make up my mind. I wasn't impressed with the smoked olives though. Seemed a bit dry.

nzl99, Apr 15, 5:14am
I have to replace it several times over when I have a platter out... :-)

cosby, Apr 15, 5:22am
Damn that looks bloody delicious. Now I'm REALLY hungry, lol!

cosby, Apr 15, 5:25am
There aren't many smoked things I'm keen on, so I probably wouldn't have liked those either.
I don't like smoked fish or cheese or anything like that, but I do like smoked salmon. The smokier things taste the less I like them I've decided.

nzl99, Apr 15, 5:32am
Is sooooo good.Most of the pizzas in that album end up with the glaze on them haha

ruby19, Apr 15, 5:51am
I love feta, sliced cherry tomato and the chunky basil pesto dip (from supermarket) on top of afresh baguette , yum....

eastie3, Apr 15, 6:04am
At a recent work morning tea somebody bought along Spicy Pumpkin hummus.It was a commercial dip from Lisa's or similar,and was so delicious served with Olive and Seasalt Sesameal crackers,but would be equally gorgeous with bread.

elliehen, Apr 15, 6:37am
For a commercial dip, I like the roasted capsicum/parmesan/cashew from Mediterranean andthere's a good Lisa's Asian eggplant one too.

cookessentials, Apr 15, 7:16am
Baba Ganoush is one of my favourites.

cosby, Apr 15, 7:27am
There are actually several quite passable commercial dips these days. As a foodie I never really expect to admit that, but some of them (like those mentioned in the last few posts) certainly deserve a little credit.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions - I now have an even lengthier, and far more costly, shopping list, lol!

kay141, Apr 15, 7:30am
Pity you can't send the leftovers, if there are any, to the helpers.

cosby, Apr 16, 2:39am
Davidt, are you around today?
Just wondering if you've ever made this beetroot one 24hrs in advance and, if so, was it ok?
My beetroot are cooked and ready to go but I'm a bit worried that the yoghurt might go watery if i make it today rather than tomorrow.

davidt4, Apr 16, 6:29am
Hi there cosby.Yes, I've made the beetroot puree a day ahead and it was fine.You just need to give it a good whisking and pour it into a fresh bowl.It's best to use a really good quality full fat thick yoghurt - I like De Winkel Greek style.
Good luck.

cosby, Apr 16, 8:01pm
Oops, never got back to check if you'd replied.
Didn't risk it so will get up & make it now.
Yep, I've got 'expensive' yoghurt, lol - I don't bother with the others anymore. It's Piako etc all the way:)