Quinces

didorothy, Apr 13, 4:15am
Made some quince paste but it wont set like jelly! Did everything the recipe said & added some more lemon juice --just in case, but still not setting --Now what?

whitehead., Apr 13, 4:21am
grate an apple and get the juice reheat your paste and add the juice bring to boil and let cool again it should set next time use jam sugar in the pink bag

pickles7, Apr 13, 4:26am
Should it set like jam ????...didorothy...What recipe did you use.?.

sapne, Apr 13, 11:33pm
Keep heating it gently until the paste starts to leave the sides of the pot. I usually use 1 cup of fruit pulp to 1 cup of sugar. Add juice of 1 lemon or 1 teaspoon of citric acid.
Quince is rich in pectin so should set easily.
Hope this helps.

harrislucinda, Apr 14, 2:17am
didyou docupforcupijustmadethistheotherdaybutbakedthequnicesinsteadofboilingturnedoutgreat

didorothy, Apr 15, 5:05am
thanks guys its still a bit jammy but I'm sure it will taste OK. Guess can put on toast anyway.

uli, Apr 15, 5:35am
Quince PASTE cannot set like JELLY!
They are two completely different products.

Quince paste is made from whole minced quinces and sugar cooked until stiff.
Jelly is made from quince juice only and sugar.

cosby, Apr 15, 5:39am
I made quince paste, a tonne of it, this week.
It didn't set without the aid of a little cheating.....gelatine.
I have kept a lot as a thick jelly though - it's a fab base for sauces, quick-whipped up chutneys etc.

uli, Apr 15, 8:58am
cosby - how did you make it - because as I wrote above it does not "set" at all. It is thickened by boiling the water out of the paste - there is no jelly or jam to "set". It is as thick as mashed potatoes - because it is a "paste".