Flora buttery....

cookiebarrel, Apr 12, 11:23am
was wondering if any one can tell if it is just like butter or is it a butter substitute.On Nestles Hottest Home Baker when they used it and quite a few of the contestants had old favourite, tried and true recipes go wrong, I wondered if it could be because they would normally use butter and on the programme they seemed to use the Flora buttery.Don't want to spend money buying it to use in baking if it might not work on my tried and true recipes.

artois, Apr 12, 11:44am
I've tried it.I thought it was very fake tasting.We use butter in this house for baking, spreadable butter for toast and picklets or simliar and flora light for everything else such as crackers or sandwiches.Personally I wouldn't waste my time

bedazzledjewels, Apr 12, 6:34pm
It isn't butter. It's a processed substitute. If it's real butter it'll have just 2 ingredients on the label - cream and salt - maybe water listed too. Anything else on the label and it's not the real thing.

rainrain1, Apr 12, 6:52pm
I am sure they mentioned it as a low fat substitute for butter, I might give it a try, although I can't imagine it holding together all that well

bellasmoons, Apr 12, 7:40pm
not real butter. i dont buy it anymore because of the palm oil in it

bedazzledjewels, Apr 12, 10:35pm
Well, it took a bit of searching but I found the ingredients.
Vegetable Oils - Sunflower Oil - Water - Buttermilk - Salt - Emulsifiers - Mono and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids - Lecithin - Flavourings - Preservative: Potassium Sorbate - Citric Acid - Colour: Beta Carotene.
Yum - I'll stick to butter.

kirinesha, Apr 12, 10:37pm
Yes, butter for me too. Seems such a shame to go to the effort and time of making a fabulous recipe at home from scratch then adding in chemicals.

cookiebarrel, Apr 13, 9:48am
bedazzledjewels, your list of ingredients was enough to put me off it, halfway through.Yep we are butter folk in our house too.Maybe that is why I couldn't find it in our local supermarket, my guardian angel was looking after me again.There was one recipe Dean showed us and he used Flora buttery in it and I wasn't sure if it would work using softened butter.Guess I could just try it and the birds will get a treat if it turns out wrong.Still wonder if that is why some of the recipes didn't work out for the contestants.

cgvl, Apr 13, 9:03pm
hmm was the recipe a cake or biscuit one. If a cake and it doesn't work dont give to birds. You can crumb it and use to make truffles or as a base for cheesecake or slices. or you could make a trifle out of it.
I every now and again have a failure with a cake, it either becomes a trifle sponge or I crumb it in the whizz and freeze to use later in bases for other things.

donnabeth, Apr 13, 10:02pm
I'm an expert failed cake maker. I haven't found a cake yet that I can't disguise as a dessert through serving it up with custard, ice cream or yoghurt. Fruit cakes taste good with hot milk and sliced banana sprinkled with cinnamon,

macandrosie, Apr 14, 10:27am
It's awful, we've gone back to butter, less processed than all the margarines!Food is too highly processed these days, i like the ideea of getting back to basics, & using food that has little or no processing.

macandrosie, Apr 14, 10:29am
I wonder if Flora Buttery were helping sponsor the show so the ladies had to use their product, seemed a bit odd in a 'baking' programme.

tigerlilly16, Apr 14, 10:41am
I thought that was obvious. No true kiwi baker would use that stuff willingly - and it was particularly obvious in the scone challenge when the judges were tasting and saying "I'll just spread with some *Flora Buttery*" If that wasn't blatant product endorsement I don't know what is.
BTW we have a pack of it sitting in the fridge from weeks ago after using it once, on sandwiches, and the fake butter taste ruined them, I will probably try and think of some way of using it (I hate waste) before eventually throwing it out.

dollmakernz, Apr 15, 9:05am
tigerlilly, I'm the same as you. Used it once and threw it out, it was disgusting!

samboy, Apr 15, 9:52am
I use rice bran spread in place of butter all the time. It is very similar in taste and texture and not high in saturated fats.Cakes, biscuits etc come out perfect every time.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 15, 7:55pm
Ingredients: Alfa One Rice Bran Oil Spread
Rice Bran Oil (80%), Water, Skim Milk Powder, Salt, Rice Bran Plant Sterol Esters (1.5%) (Gamma Oryzanol), Emulsifiers (Monoglycerides of Fatty Acids, Soy Lecithin), Natural Butter Flavour, Natural Colour (Beta Carotene), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid).
Butter ingredients: cream, salt.
No competition which one is natural is it.