Sydney Special (I think that's what it's called)

survivorr, Apr 9, 7:05am
Haven't made it for literally years and I thought the last time I made it I used the recipe in the Edmonds Cook Book but I've just checked and it's not there.I'm ashamed to say that when I did make it that last time I don't remember sharing it with ANYONE!... Liked it so much....but this time I'll take it to work for others....

margyr, Apr 9, 7:14am
did it have cornflakes in it?? I googled sydney special recipe and someone posted a recipe with cornflakes which the person asking said sounded like what they called sydney special.

survivorr, Apr 9, 8:14am
I honest can't remember the ingredients:(

neville26, Apr 9, 8:56am
Sydney Special's -125g melted butter, 1 C soft brown sugar, 1C dessicated coconut, 2 C rolled oats.
Preheat oven to 180 oC Lightly grease 23cm sq slab tin. Mix all ingredients together until wellcombined. press into the tin. bake for 20mins or until golden brown. Cut into slices or squares while still warm. makes 24

nana_gee, Apr 9, 10:29am
Thanks" neville " for this recipe.This was a family favourite my Mum made often, but did not included in her recipe book.
So happy to have found it!

kabbo, Apr 12, 3:56am
i made this last night, and must say "not sure about it". it is quite sickly sweet, and quite crumbly, alsmost like something is missing to bind it together.

lizab, Apr 12, 4:12am
as I read the recipe, I was wondering whether it was supposed to have egg in it. Kabbo, I think that egg was probably the missing agent!! It sounds a bit like a flapjack??

cookessentials, Apr 12, 4:57am
I have never heard of it. Was it in an old edition of the Edmonds book?

survivorr, Apr 14, 8:16am
I think it was in the old edition.I also thought it had sultanas in it but haven't seen a recipe like that yet.Maybe I have got it wrong because it's quite a few years since I made it.

cookessentials, Apr 14, 8:31am

ninascraft, Apr 14, 8:33am
Hi folks, I can confirm that Nevelle26's recipie is correct.Other than the sugar should be a teacup, which I believe is slightly smaller than a cup today.Other than that the only difference to mine is that it is cooked in a slow oven for half hour not as per his directions.Nan used to bake this after the Sunday roast in her old oven.She turned the power off after five mins and let the heat in the oven complete the cooking process.MMMMoff to bake a batch.