Mouldy walnuts

olwen, Apr 9, 2:53am
Over the last few weeks I have gathered a lot of walnuts from public trees.My partner, has taken it into his head to shell most of them despite my suggestion that they probably keep better in their shells.He put them in zip lock bags.There had been some condensation, and today I noticed a little mould on the nuts in several bags.Can I rescue them by washing and drying (perhaps in a vey low oven?).I am really annoyed about this, I was looking forward to fruit and nut loaves throughout the year.

olwen, Apr 9, 2:57am
PS no sign of mould this morning, but it's there this afternoon

sew.obsessed, Apr 9, 3:23am
I put mine in the freezer :-)

elliehen, Apr 9, 4:29am
I like to leave the walnuts in their shells to dry out completely before shelling them.Some people use a dehydrator to dry the shelled nuts.I think at this point I would dry them a little in the oven and then freeze them.Fresh walnuts are very soft and full of moisture - I've just cracked open some I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Once completely dry in their shells, I usually shell them and freeze them for longer storage.

uli, Apr 10, 6:09am
Mouldy nuts have lots of aflatoxins - which is not kind to your liver - so throw out the mouldy ones and freeze the rest!

pickles7, Apr 10, 6:50am
yes , just like rancid coconut, not good at all, in the worse cases it can, put you down..
you sound as if you have eaten mouldy nuts before,,,, don't stress...

blt10, Apr 10, 9:22am
I've just been given a shopping bag full of freshly fallen walnuts and they need to ripen in their shells.
Lookingforward to the bakes to come.