TV1 6pm news tonight - poor resort to petfood

Page 1 / 2
kuaka, Apr 7, 8:44am
Does this sound like media hype or do you think it's for real.I can't imagine that supplementing my diet with petfood would be a saving.I'm sure there are plenty of cheap and healthy alternatives.I honestly don't believe everything I read in the papers or see on the TV.Is it more a case of the poor not having the life skills to cook themselves cheap but healthy meals?

emmapear, Apr 7, 8:47am
Whatever I would rather eat plain rice or potato than petfood. A tin of baked beans is cheaper than a tin of petfood.

kuaka, Apr 7, 8:54am
My thoughts exactly.My old cat costs me a small fortune, admittedly I don't buy her the very cheapest pet foods, but the real cheap ones look revolting.I agree, rice or pasta with some diced onion, baked beans and/or tinned mushrooms would be quite tasty, healthy and cheap.

prawn_whiskas, Apr 7, 8:58am
I believe it, when I was younger I knew of elderly who would eat canned jelly meat because it was cheaper than human grade meat.

nfh1, Apr 7, 9:00am
Oh my - that is enough to turn you vegetarian.

kuaka, Apr 7, 9:08am
hmmm, well I dunno, 'cos I reckon jellimeat is flipping expensive these days if you work out the per kilo price.

pickles7, Apr 7, 9:13am
This is true, has been going on for years. Not a lack of life skills , more a lack of money. It smells nice, slices well, looks good. just not for me.
Not the same but I bought a cat from a lady once, on going to pick it up her children were chewing on Tux dog biscuits. She said they are full of good vitamins and minerals, and the kids loved them.

prawn_whiskas, Apr 7, 9:28am
It happens more than people think.

A Pensioner can get 4-5 meals out of a can of cat food, so works out cheaper than human food, no different to a can of corn beef lol (smell wise, don't know about taste though!)

its going on about 25ish years since I knew this was a common occurrence back then, probably not AS common now days but still happens.

samanya, Apr 7, 10:00am
Urban myth ... been circulating around for years.

beaker59, Apr 7, 10:14am
I knew someone once who made Catfood Lasagne and took it to a work potluck dinner. Was very popular aparently never told them what it was.

Trick is add lots of salt apparently.

pickles7, Apr 7, 10:21am
What a, Dog, hope he took along a bottle of, cold duck...lol

dezzie, Apr 7, 11:36am
lol, I had a friend that put jellimeat intoasted sandwiches as a joke on his drunk mates at a party and they all lined up for more.

beaker59, Apr 7, 12:46pm
That was a she and definately a Biarch (a nice one though)

valtrin, Apr 7, 8:21pm
If you bought $5 mince made a stew and added a few vegies and ate it even with budget bread it would last as long or longer than the equivalent spent on jellymeat. Total lack of skills and ability to cope in my opinion. You can buy neck chops for next to nothing and make a broth or stew type thing with them, even bones from the supermarket are better then jellymeat - guess a lifetime of opening canned food instead of cooking is a habit. It doesn't cost much to cook once every few days and reheat between if things are that tight. Tinned sardines mixed through some cooked rice - lots of very cheap meals if you think about it.

kiwibubbles, Apr 7, 8:50pm
Time WINZ started providing cooking classes for those who dont know how to make their food go further.

lythande1, Apr 7, 8:50pm
true but petfood is protein. Rice and stuff isn't.
The cheapest meat I've seen is pet horsemeat at $4 a kilo. probably chepaer than canned catfood.

pickles7, Apr 7, 10:06pm
...valtrin ...Tinned sardines mixed through some cooked rice - lots of very cheap meals if you think about it.

It would last for ever in my house, nobody would eat it..
Pet food is looking good. The garlic one would be best, no fridge required. "Salami"comes to mind.

owl32, Apr 7, 10:24pm
I think its crap.

valtrin, Apr 7, 10:28pm
I would rather eat sardines and rice and retain some self respect than moan to the media about having to eat pet food though, wouldn't you?

pickles7, Apr 7, 10:52pm
There are more people out there in that situation, who do not moan. Those folks who eat pet food, wouldn't be able to cook the rice, they probably would not want to add to there power bill. [ if they have the power on ]
great that interest rates are down, that helps people out...yep... those who have a mortgage, are a little better off. The others get stung even more as there rents, rise..

kuaka, Apr 7, 11:58pm
and there was an article in the Herald yesterday about a woman on the DPB with 3 kids receiving over $800 per week and was asking for food grants and getting further into debt - mind you, she was paying $385 a week rent!I think it's outrageous.

kuaka, Apr 8, 12:00am
But getting back to my original post, someone mentions neck chops being cheap, well here they are $11.99kg on special, normally $13.99kg - I don't consider that cheap, nor a good buy.As for the sardines, yes I would eat them, not sure about mixed through rice, maybe with the rice, but definitely on toast.I think it's mostly bullsh*t and partly lack of skills.

mothergoose4, Apr 8, 12:16am
I also saw the news article last night.My husband and I both looked at each other when the gentleman from the Budget Service was delivering the food parcels.they included a very large tin of chilli (presumably chilli beans), and an expensive loaf of bread.But I guess they use what they get donated to them.Just seemed a little strange to see those things.

kuaka, Apr 8, 1:34am
mothergoose - yes I commented to my other half that the bread in the food parcel was a more expensive variety than we can afford

obsidianwings, Apr 8, 1:43am
Yeah, I think its a bit out there, if you can afford pet food, then you can afford other cheap food. But if they prefer cat food then so be it I suppose...