Puff Balls - Edible

mss2006, Apr 7, 8:27am
Picked a large puff ball today about the size of a very large fist.Its solid and meaty and has a wonderful smell of mushrooms,Are they edible?Im sure I read somewhere that they areNot game to try it until Im really sure lol.

rainrain1, Apr 7, 8:34am
definately NOT

pickles7, Apr 7, 8:39am
You can eat some puff balls. Identify any fungus, before consuming.

pickles7, Apr 7, 8:43am
google, edible puff balls. Some are huge.

rainrain1, Apr 7, 8:48am
I wouldn't eat them, you would have to be pretty sure what you are doing

mss2006, Apr 7, 8:50am
Good idea found these links in NZ:-

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/fungi/2 http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/fungi/3/4

If young and white like the one I have it suggests it is edible.

Am I game enough....???

davidt4, Apr 7, 8:57am
I cooked a large puffball a while ago, mainly out of curiosity but also because I was assured that puffballs are edible.I sliced it 1cm and fried it in butter with garlic.It didn't taste of much and the texture was sllghtly rubbery.We had no ill effects from it but i doubt that I will bother again.

pickles7, Apr 7, 8:58am
I googled images. I would have to say, I wouldn't. We treat ourselves to a pkt of mushrooms, every now and then.
We love to find and eat, "horse mushrooms" in the orchard though. The size of dinner plates, fry them like you would a steak. mmmmm nice.

lilyfield, Apr 7, 9:27am
all puffballs are highly edible and delicious. Just make sure its snowy white inside and firm. enjoy. Biggest ones i have ever found where the size of a soccerball- no kidding. great in large slices on the barbie

amiri1, Apr 7, 11:39am
The River Cottage guy did an episode on them. They are definitely edible and can grow quite big given the right circumstances!
Not too sure if I'd go out of my way to try them though, portabella and button mushrooms are enough for me. Hope it tastes good for you! :)

lissy73, Apr 7, 8:33pm
Yes you can.. We used to eat them growing up

pickles7, Apr 7, 8:40pm
mss2006...what are you eating for breakfast????

mss2006, Apr 7, 10:52pm
Well,Last night I sliced a nice thick steak off the puffball and fried it with butter and salt until very golden.It was fantastic. It looked a bit like fried halloumi cheese and tasted a bit like fried cheese as well.My wife thought it tasted of vegemight.

We are all well this morning so I will be having more today!

I can highly recommend it!

Thanks for your input everyone.

pickles7, Apr 7, 10:59pm
great, may be tempted to try the next one I find, myself, I stood on one the size of a baseball, just the other day, darn it.

harrislucinda, Apr 7, 11:30pm
i aggreethatyou caneatthemfryed ,butonlywhenfirmwhitenotwhenturningbrowni saythisbuthavenottryedmyself

mss2006, Apr 8, 8:27am
Picked a large puff ball today about the size of a very large fist.Its solid and meaty and has a wonderful smell of mushrooms,Are they edible!Im sure I read somewhere that they areNot game to try it until Im really sure lol.

rainrain1, Apr 8, 8:48am
I wouldn't eat them, you would have to be pretty sure what you are doing

mss2006, Apr 8, 8:50am
Good idea found these links in NZ:-

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/fungi/2 http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/fungi/3/4

If young and white like the one I have it suggests it is edible.

Am I game enough.!

davidt4, Apr 8, 8:57am
I cooked a large puffball a while ago, mainly out of curiosity but also because I was assured that puffballs are edible.I sliced it 1cm and fried it in butter with garlic.It didn't taste of much and the texture was sllghtly rubbery.We had no ill effects from it but i doubt that I will bother again.

pickles7, Apr 8, 8:58am
I googled images. I would have to say, I wouldn't. We treat ourselves to a pkt of mushrooms, every now and then.
We love to find and eat, "horse mushrooms" in the orchard though. The size of dinner plates, fry them like you would a steak. mmmmm nice.

amiri1, Apr 8, 11:39am
The River Cottage guy did an episode on them. They are definitely edible and can grow quite big given the right circumstances!
Not too sure if I'd go out of my way to try them though, portabella and button mushrooms are enough for me. Hope it tastes good for you! :)

lissy73, Apr 8, 8:33pm
Yes you can. We used to eat them growing up

pickles7, Apr 8, 8:40pm
mss2006.what are you eating for breakfast!