Help -please. What to do with a piece of thar

greerg, Apr 4, 7:36am
My son has returned from his latest lot of fieldwork with a piece of middle loin of thar.He plans to cook it on Friday but I'm a little dubious about it.Not keen on curries - has anyone any experience with thar please?Fisher maybe?

winnie231, Apr 4, 7:58am
I know exactly what you need to do with it greerg .... send it round here!

Guess what one of the meats was I used to cook up at the cafe in GB ...
just think rich casserole - you know - red wine, onions, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, s&p ... cook long and slow - you can't go wrong :)

fisher, Apr 4, 8:12am
One of the kind Message board folk sent me a piece of Thar (and other things) sometime back... Her hubby was a high mountain hunting guide in the SI...
I just chopped it up and casseroled it in the oven...bouquet garni of herbs, sliced onions, carrots, and added par boiled spuds later on, 2/3rds way thru..reckon it could be a candidate for the slow cooker as well..or maybe roasted in the oven...

beaker59, Apr 4, 9:04am
I have only had Thar a couple of times once as a rare steak and it was tender and delicious, highly recommended.

If its a tender cut and sounds like a backsteak then fry a bit first to check for tenderness if its good then you are in for a treat. if tough then casserole and it will be great that way as well. think very dark rich meat so look at venison type recipe's.

winnie231, Apr 4, 9:33am
I recommend the cookbook 'The Mad Chef's New Zealand game & seafood cookbook' by Daryl Crimp for the non supermarket type meats.

http://librarydata.christchurch.org.nz/web2/tramp2.exe/goto/A257vq37.001?screen=Record.html&server=1home&item=14&item_source=1home

greerg, Apr 5, 8:30am
Thank you all.I think the casserole will be it. His girlfriend has already tried to bow out of this meal so he's determined to prove her wrong.

winnie231, Apr 10, 2:13am
How was the thar greerg?

greerg, Apr 10, 2:35am
Actually he found a casserole recipe himself which was quite highly spiced so it could have been anything in the red meat line - much to the relief of his very dubious girlfriend.He's gone back to his fieldwork now planning to bring back lots of rabbit - but that at least I can deal with easily.I spent my pre-freezer childhood with a keen deerstalker for a father and we were a family of three.I have a clear memory of Mum meeting the Rawleighs man at the door, and before he could say anything blurting out "would you like a piece of vension?"It wasn't that we didn't like it but we did get very sick of it .He was a good shot and firmly believed that if you shot it, you carried it out and you ate it.

hugh1, Apr 10, 2:46am
Boys just went goat shooting and brought back the legs and back steaks any ideas

winnie231, Apr 10, 3:05am
hugh1 - I have had a leg of goat done using the following recipe from Jamie Oliver ... it was delicious!

Jamie's recipe for Lamb with chickpeas, yoghurt and tray roasted veg from his book "Jamie's Dinners" - serves 4 - 6.

1 leg of lamb, butterflied and opened up like a book
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
a large bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
a large bunch of fresh mint, chopped
1 x 410gr tin of chickpeas, drained
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 x 500ml tub of natural yoghurt
12 baby turnips, scrubbed
a bunch of baby carrots, scrubbed, tops left on
1 butternut squash, unpeeled, cut into 8 wedges
2 red onions, peeled and quartered
1 whole bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
extra virgin olive oil

Score the lamb on both sides.Using either a pestle and mortar or a food processor, grind or whizz up the coriander seeds with the garlic, fresh coriander, mint and half the chickpeas until you have a paste.Season the paste or "marinade" with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add the lemon juice and yoghurt.Place half of this flavoured yoghurt in a large plastic bag and add the lamb.Put the other half of the flavoured yoghurt in the fridge.Tie the bag up to seal it and turn it around to allow the yoghurt to coat all the lamb.Leave to marinate for at least an hour, but up to 24 hours in the fridge.

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas 6.Place the turnips and carrots in a roasting tray with the squash, onions, garlic and remaining chickpeas, then sprinkle with the cumin, salt and pepper.Drizzle with olive oil and toss together to coat.

Remove the lamb from the marinade, then place the meat directly on the oven rack with the tray of vegetables on the shelf below.Cook for about 1 hour, tossing the vegetables halfway through.Serve the lamb well cooked with the vegetables and flavoured yoghurt on the side.

winnie231, Apr 10, 3:06am
I'm pleased dinner went well & the girlfriend is happy! When does the 'french factor' happen? Hope that goes well too!!

greerg, Apr 10, 8:47am
No entertainment there Winnie - he worried away about it then texted his supervisor who was quite relaxed.Now she's not arriving until the people he's staying with get back.Seems to be OK as long as there are chaperones.