How long do I need to simmer an Ox tongue for?

bellyatobhs, Apr 2, 11:14pm
and does anymore add anything else to the pot? thank you

gardie, Apr 2, 11:18pm
I do just water but usually in my crockpot.A knife should slide into it easily.Is it corner?If not, you may need to add flavouring - plenty of salt, pepper, perhaps some herbs (not to my liking tho).When its cooked, the outer tough layer comes off quite easily - the cooked meat sort of shrinks within it.Best to press it too as it cools - plate on top, gladwrap/foil then a brick or couple of lg tins.

bellyatobhs, Apr 2, 11:23pm
It has been pickled, thanks for the advice so it should take a least 2 hours on the stove top? also do you know how long it would then keep for in the fridge?

cgvl, Apr 2, 11:30pm
ox tongue will take about 3 hours on a fast simmer to cook. I add things as I would if cooking corned silverside (golden syrup, bay leaf, cloves, ginger, pickling spice and vinegar).
Remove form pot when cooked and leave to cool until you can handle it comfortably.
Remove the outside skin from the tongue .... if its is properly cooked the skin will peel away easily.
To press it. Put the tongue into a round dish so that it fit very firmly. Cover with an upturned saucer or bread plate and then add weights (eg a brick or heavy cans).
It will keep several days in fridge (usually eaten within 3 days here.

oakhills, Apr 2, 11:54pm
Why do you press them?

micky_1, Apr 3, 12:42am
good question I have never pressed them ?

bellyatobhs, Apr 3, 1:59am
well its out of the pot and is as tender as can't say it looks good though might leave it to the man of the house to skin it.

bellyatobhs, Apr 3, 11:14pm
and does anymore add anything else to the pot! thank you

gardie, Apr 3, 11:18pm
I do just water but usually in my crockpot.A knife should slide into it easily.Is it corner!If not, you may need to add flavouring - plenty of salt, pepper, perhaps some herbs (not to my liking tho).When its cooked, the outer tough layer comes off quite easily - the cooked meat sort of shrinks within it.Best to press it too as it cools - plate on top, gladwrap/foil then a brick or couple of lg tins.

bellyatobhs, Apr 3, 11:23pm
It has been pickled, thanks for the advice so it should take a least 2 hours on the stove top! also do you know how long it would then keep for in the fridge!

cgvl, Apr 3, 11:30pm
ox tongue will take about 3 hours on a fast simmer to cook. I add things as I would if cooking corned silverside (golden syrup, bay leaf, cloves, ginger, pickling spice and vinegar).
Remove form pot when cooked and leave to cool until you can handle it comfortably.
Remove the outside skin from the tongue . if its is properly cooked the skin will peel away easily.
To press it. Put the tongue into a round dish so that it fit very firmly. Cover with an upturned saucer or bread plate and then add weights (eg a brick or heavy cans).
It will keep several days in fridge (usually eaten within 3 days here.

oakhills, Apr 3, 11:54pm
Why do you press them!

ferrit47, Apr 4, 12:05am
Untill it Cooked.

rainrain1, Apr 4, 12:09am
Looks better shape wise, and cuts nicer after pressing

bellyatobhs, Apr 4, 1:59am
well its out of the pot and is as tender as can't say it looks good though might leave it to the man of the house to skin it.

whitehead., Apr 4, 2:50am
peel while hot its easy the skin just comes away when its cooked right .and please where did you get a tongue ive been looking for ages and never see them if im lucky i can buy it cooked at a very high price dont forget to remove any small bones you might find at the base of the tongue .you press it to make it easier to slice with a little of the stock and a lemon jelly .but if you have a couple of pigs feet you boil them with it and your stock will set

bellyatobhs, Apr 4, 3:36am
We get homekill normally we don't bother with the tongue but this time we thought we would give it a go, I know what you mean about trying to find something I have a real devil of a job trying to get ox tail it is a real treat in this house that the kids go crazy for.

bellyatobhs, Apr 5, 3:36am
We get homekill normally we don't bother with the tongue but this time we thought we would give it a go, I know what you mean about trying to find something I have a real devil of a job trying to get ox tail it is a real treat in this house that the kids go crazy for.