Caviar?

edkemper, Apr 2, 5:43pm
does anyone know where to get this in chch? and even tell me a round about price?
TIA Xx

davidt4, Apr 2, 10:32pm
You can buy it by mail order but I doubt you will find it anywhere on the shelf as it is so expensive and perishable.

http://www.fishonline.co.nz/afawcs0127309/CATID=677/SUBID=925/ID=11300/SID=693248237/productdetails.html

pickles7, Apr 2, 11:06pm
If you are unsure about buying on line , Inquire at your nearest fish, wholesale outlet. I am sure they will point you in the right direction.
One bluff oyster cost us $2.00each. maybe one teaspoon of caviar, $20.00. just a guess.

buzzy110, Apr 2, 11:40pm
Lumpfish caviar is what is normally sold in NZ and probably everywhere else as well. I used to buy it from the refrigerated stand, located in the Fish Department of any large supermarket. It may not be available. I have discovered that the genuine Lumpfish caviar is only available around Xmas time. There is a product made from seaweed, sold as caviar and in an identical glass pottle. I've never bought it so cannot vouch for it.

gypsy11, Apr 3, 10:29am
Salmon caviar is also readily available in the South.

edkemper, Apr 3, 5:43pm
does anyone know where to get this in chch! and even tell me a round about price!
TIA Xx

buzzy110, Apr 3, 11:40pm
Lumpfish caviar is what is normally sold in NZ and probably everywhere else as well. I used to buy it from the refrigerated stand, located in the Fish Department of any large supermarket. It may not be available. I have discovered that the genuine Lumpfish caviar is only available around Xmas time. There is a product made from seaweed, sold as caviar and in an identical glass pottle. I've never bought it so cannot vouch for it.

unicstudent, Apr 6, 12:01am
I have bought caviar in the past from the supermarket at Fendalton (cnr Clyde & Fendalton Roads) It was about $15-20 for a jar a bit smaller than a paint test pot.

beaker59, Apr 6, 2:43am
mmmmmmm love caviar had the real stuff a few times though haven't in years.

Smoked up some Kahawai roe yesterday though which was yum on some crackers with feta and a slice of tomato :)

davidt4, Apr 6, 6:05am
Are you sure it actually was caviar?At that price it is more likely to be lumpfish roe or salmon roe.

beaker59, Apr 7, 2:43am
mmmmmmm love caviar had the real stuff a few times though haven't in years.

Smoked up some Kahawai roe yesterday though which was yum on some crackers with feta and a slice of tomato :)

davidt4, Apr 7, 6:05am
Are you sure it actually was caviar!At that price it is more likely to be lumpfish roe or salmon roe.