Island Chop Suey

kingfish_327, Mar 26, 8:25am
Anyone have a nice chop suey recipe? Island style not chinese style please, i would be very grateful!thank you

lyl_guy, Mar 26, 9:02am
this is one I saved from here, it's from "firemansgirl"

Vermicelli
250gm packet is heaps. Soak it in boiling water then drain.
Dark Soya Sauce
Finely dice: 1kg steak, (you can use topside but I prefer rump)
Chop:3 onions and cloves of garlic, as many as you like depending on taste. Grate: Fresh Ginger
Put a tblspn or two of oil on a large pot and heat until really hot
Fry off the Onion, Garlic & Ginger
Add the Rump.
Add Soy Sauce maybe a 1/4 cup to start
Add water enough to cover meat and simmer for maybe 30 minutes or longer if you use topside
Taste. If you want more Garlic or Ginger, add it now. Add more soy if required. DON'T SALT. There is enough in the soy.
Add the vermicelli, mix through so that the soy colours the vermicelli totally. Alternatively let the meat cool overnight, reheat the next day and then add vermicelli. Eat!!!
firemansgirl

kingfish_327, Mar 26, 10:19am
thank u

petal1955, Mar 26, 8:38pm
Sapasui (Chopsuey)

serves 10
• 1.5 kg of meat (rump steak, leg of lamb, corn brisket) diced
• 1.5 kg of pork pieces (optional)
• 6 clove clusters of garlic finely chopped
• 2 large onions finely chopped
• ¾ cup cooking oil
• 1.5 bottles of dark soy sauce
• 2 packets vermicelli soaked in 1.5 litres of hot water (do this
• when meat is cooked)
• 3 litres of hot water
Place meat in large pot. Pour in cold water to cover the meat. Boil meat until tender (do not over cook). Pour out the liquid from the boiled meat into a plastic bowl. Leave to sit. Pour into pot of drained meat the oil, onions, garlic and half a bottle of soy sauce. Fry and stir until garlic and onions are cooked. Drain the soaking vermicelli. DO NOT CUT WITH SCISSORS. Leave vermicelli whole. Pour vermicelli into the pot of meat and other
ingredients. Add 1.5 litres of water and the liquid from the boiled meat. Leave to boil. Stir pot gently to mix in vermicelli with meat. Add half a bottle of soy sauce while ingredients are cooking. Stir gently again until soy sauce is fully mixed into vermicelli. Leave to simmer for 3-4 minutes on low temperature. Add more soy sauce according to taste. Add more hot water if vermicelli has soaked up liquid and looks a bit dry.

kingfish_327, Mar 27, 12:22am
Thanks heaps petal, that sounds like a good one

kingfish_327, Mar 27, 8:25am
Anyone have a nice chop suey recipe! Island style not chinese style please, i would be very grateful!thank you

lyl_guy, Mar 27, 9:02am
this is one I saved from here, it's from "firemansgirl"

Vermicelli
250gm packet is heaps. Soak it in boiling water then drain.
Dark Soya Sauce
Finely dice: 1kg steak, (you can use topside but I prefer rump)
Chop:3 onions and cloves of garlic, as many as you like depending on taste. Grate: Fresh Ginger
Put a tblspn or two of oil on a large pot and heat until really hot
Fry off the Onion, Garlic & Ginger
Add the Rump.
Add Soy Sauce maybe a 1/4 cup to start
Add water enough to cover meat and simmer for maybe 30 minutes or longer if you use topside
Taste. If you want more Garlic or Ginger, add it now. Add more soy if required. DON'T SALT. There is enough in the soy.
Add the vermicelli, mix through so that the soy colours the vermicelli totally. Alternatively let the meat cool overnight, reheat the next day and then add vermicelli. Eat!
firemansgirl