how do I make crepes?

darlingmole, Feb 22, 2:40am
I don't think I've ever made them so if anyone has a quick/easy recipe I'd be very appreciative (since I'm making them for dinner ha! )

cookessentials, Feb 22, 2:41am
There is a great pancake recipe on the Cooking class 101 thread DM, a crepe is basically a thinner batter so you could adapt the recipe for crepes.

darlingmole, Feb 22, 2:46am
cheers for that cookessentials :-)

hey, I've asked you a question on the "ode to sunday" post ...

cookessentials, Feb 22, 2:57am
Hi DM, yes I saw it and have answered as best I can. I am about to post below a traditional French crepe recipe from google if you would prefer that to my pancake batter on the 101 thread.
Pâte à Crèpes… Thin, light, and luscious!

This recipe is home base for all your fantastic crepe creations! Simple to make, and wonderful to eat!

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: about 30 minutes

Ingredients (for about 15 crepes):
2 cups Flour
2 1/2 cups Whole Milk
4 Eggs
2 tbsp. Butter (melted)
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Vanilla Stalk or Few Drops Vanilla Extract (optional)
Vegetable Oil (for pan)

How to Prepare Batter:

1. Sift flour and mix with salt in a bowl.
2. Make a well and pour in eggs. Stir well.
3. Slowly pour in milk while stirring. Keep stirring batter until small bubbles form on the surface.
4. Stir in Butter.
Voilà!

NB The batter does not need to stand before using it. However, if you do let it stand, you will most likely want to add 1 tbsp. of water before cooking with it. General rule of thumb: if it seems thicker than cream, add a little more water, and/or a little more milk.

darlingmole, Feb 22, 3:18am
oh wow thanks heaps for that cookie ~you're a star!

cookessentials, Feb 22, 3:29am
why, thank you.

cookessentials, Feb 22, 3:36am
Now, DM here is another crepe recipe from the Roux brothers 9 I have a couple of the Michel Roux cookbooks - the "eggs" and the "pastry" however, I have yet to try his crepe batter. His pate' sucree is a winner - used it for my Christmas mince pies.
This recipe comes from The Roux Brothers on Patisserie, and uses cream in the batter. The suggested flavorings include vanilla, orange blossom water, lemon zest or Grand Marnier, or they can just be mixed up and cooked plain.

2 1/4 c flour
2 T sugar
Pinch salt
4 eggs
2 1/4 c milk, boiled and cooled
7/8 c heavy cream
Desired Flavoring

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, and add the eggs, 2 at a time, mixing well. Stir in 1/3 of the milk until you have a smooth, homogenous batter, then add in the cream and the rest of the milk. Leave to rest in a cool place at least 1 hour before using the batter. When ready to use, stir in the chosen flavoring, and use clarified butter for the oiling of the pan.

darlingmole, Feb 22, 3:42am
wicked! you've just worked your way in record time into my "legend" status for posting on here (davidt4, uli, valentine, fisher ... so many to name! )
Hey - how come I need to "rest" it for a while? What happens if I rush the process cookie?

cookessentials, Feb 22, 3:56am
It has something to do with fermentation would you believe! however, the recipe I posted on the CC 101 thread also says to rest it for an hour before use, but I must admit, if I am in a rush, I dont rest it and it seems fine to me.

cookessentials, Aug 28, 7:05am
Here is the one I posted on the Cooking Class 101 thread that I always use, so I can vouch for it!
Basic pancake batter 1 cup flour;1 tsp baking powder;1/2 tsp salt;1 egg;1 1/2 cups milk;15g of butter, melted;oil for frying. Sift flour, baking powder & salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add egg, milk and melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, gradually draw in the flour. Beat well. Cover and leave to stand one hour. Grease and heat pancake pan. Pour batter into a jug and pour in enough batter while tilting the pan to cover the bottom. Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface, about 1 min, then flip over using a metal spatula. These are lovely layered with a little butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of caster sugar, just layer and repeat.

brianmac (129 )4:31 pm, Thu 30 Aug #1