Harmony Tarts

whistlingwings, Jul 22, 5:08am
Does anybody have a recipe for Harmony Tarts. I think it is a recipe found in old recipe books. The tarts are much like a Louise cake but made in patty tins. Thanks

cookessentials, Jul 22, 5:19am
Cannot say I have heard of them. Cheesecakes have a pastry bottom, with jam and a cake top - they are made in patty pans.

whistlingwings, Jul 22, 5:35am
Hi cookessentials,

The recipe which I read - but was unable to copy down- had a shortcake bottom filled with a coconut mixture and cooked in patty tins.

nauru, Jul 22, 6:14am
Rich Coconut TartletsMakes 12

100 g (4 oz)Short Pastry
FILLING:
4 x 15 ml spoon (4 tbsp)jam
50 g (2 oz)margarine
50 g (2 oz)caster sugar
1 mediumegg
50 g (2 oz)desiccated coconut

Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Roll out pastry thinly and cut in rounds using a 7. 5 cm (3 inch) cutter and line 12 patty tins.
Place 1 x 2. 5 ml spoon (½ tsp) of jam in each.
Cream margarine and sugar, add the egg and coconut.
Place 1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) of the mixture on top of the jam.
Bake for 20 minutes until the sponge is risen and golden brown. i have a coconut tart recipe if you want it. Pastry with coconut mixture on top.

whistlingwings, Jul 22, 7:10am
Thank you Nauru

I will definitely try your coconut tartlets. Just a small query -is there no flour in the mixture that you spoon into the pastry case? .

And yes please, could I have your recipe for the coconut tart. Thanks.

beaker59, Jul 22, 7:19am
I doo like a good tart ;)

cookessentials, Jul 22, 7:20am
Sounds familiar whistlingwings, the name does not ring a bell though. I do have a coconut tartlet recipe, but it does not have meringue on top as does a Louise cake. I shall see if I can find it.

juliewn, Jul 22, 9:43am
Hi. . I haven't heard of these as Harmony Tarts, however this sounds similar to what you're looking for - it's from the Edmonds book and is called Coconut Macaroons:

125gms flaky pastry
Raspberry jam
Whites of 2 eggs
125gms sugar
75gms coconut
1/2 tsp almond essence - you can leave this out if you prefer.

Roll out pastry and line patty pans.
Place a little raspberry jam in the bottom of each.
Whip egg whites till stiff.
Fold in sugar, coconut and essence.
Place spoonsful of this mix over the jam in the tins.
Bake about 3/4 hour in moderate oven 180°C - till the pastry is cooked and the tops have browned.

Enjoy. . believe me, they're moreish! !

It's a recipe I use when making something else with pastry - the leftover pieces of pastry can be layered and re-rolled for these.

nauru, Jul 23, 7:28am
That's right, no flour

nauru, Jul 23, 7:42am
Coconut tart
100 g (4 oz) Short Pastry
FILLING:
50 g (2 oz) margarine
50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
1 medium egg
50 g (2 oz) desiccated coconut
2 tablsp flour
2 tablesp currants
1/2 teasp almond essence

Line a large tart tin with pastry. Cream margarine and sugar, add the egg, coconut, currants & essence, mix well. Stir in flour. Place coconut mixture over pastry shell and bake @ 180C for 35-40 minutes until golden. Somtimes I make this recipe as tartlets too.

karen, Nov 7, 6:47pm
I googled 'Harmony Tarts" and came up with this site - unfortunately I didn't see the recipe that I was after but after much searching thru my cook books I found it. If it hasn't already been posted somewhere else - here it is:
Harmony Tarts
3oz (75g) butter
1/2 cup currants
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp top milk (I used cream since I had some)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 beaten egg

Cook until blended over low heat, thicken with 1small tablespoon flour mixed with a little cold milk. Store in fridge until ready to use.

I make small tart cases with my grandmothers apple shortcake pastry, these are then filled with the sticky mixture above and eaten.

3 cups flour
1/2 pound butter
1 small cup sugar
2 small eggs
2 tsp Baking Powder

Cream butter and sugar, then add dry ingredients, roll out and cut into circles to fit your patty tins. Bake 350 F