Foodtown Mag Jun/Jul 09, Aug/Sep 09 & Dec/Jan 10?

annie.nz, Feb 3, 7:31pm
I had these magazines and lent them to my son-in-law, and now they are packed up and in storage till their house is sold.

Is anyone able to post the following recipes please?

Brick Mill Cafe's Cappucino and Date Slice June/July 09 page 109

Clevedon Cafe's Gluten-free Citrus Cake Aug/Sept 09, page 106

White Christmas Rocky Road Dec 09/Jan10 page 103?

Thanks for help -

245sam, Feb 3, 7:38pm
annie.nz, I have all those recipes except for the last one - my copy of that mag is on loan to our daughter and son-in-law, in Wellington. I'll post the recipes I do have asap. :-))

245sam, Feb 3, 7:58pm
BRICK MILL CAFÉ’S CAPPUCCINO & DATE SLICE
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
175g butter, melted
½ cup milk
2 tbsp strong coffee
1 tbsp sugar
400g packet pitted dates, chopped (reserve some for topping)
1½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp strong coffee
50g butter, melted
boiling water to mix

Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line the base of a 30cm x 20cm Swiss roll pan with baking paper.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the sugar, butter, milk and the coffee, combined with the tablespoon of sugar, and the dates. Mix well. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until set and golden. Cool.
Combine the icing ingredients, adding just enough boiling water to make the mixture spreadable. Using a spatula, spread over the base and sprinkle with the reserved chopped dates. Cut into squares or bars.
Makes about 16.

CLEVEDON CAFÉ’S GLUTEN-FREE CITRUS CAKE
5 lemonsororangesora mix of citrusor8 mandarins, unpeeled
4 cups ground almonds
3 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
10 eggs

Cover the citrus fruit with water and boil for 1 hour. Drain and set aside to cool, then place in the bowl of a food processor and blend until fairly smooth.
Preheat the oven to 150°C. Grease and line a 25-26cm cake tin.
Combine the almonds, sugar, baking powder and eggs in a very large bowl. Stir in the citrus fruit and pour the mixture into the cake tin.
Bake for 1½-1¾ hours, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Serves 10-12.

annie.nz, Feb 3, 8:03pm
Thanks for posting them Shirley, that's great! Much appreciated.

annie.nz, Feb 3, 8:04pm
BTW your date loaf is great, I made it on Sunday!

245sam, Feb 3, 8:20pm
You're welcome Anne and if you haven't already got the third recipe by then, hopefully I'll be able to post it for you in about 10-11 days time - if our daughter remembers to bring my mag with her when she's home next weekend.

Thanks for the feedback re the date loaf - I'm very pleased you enjoy it and I'm assuming that, like me, you're a date lover so thanks for reminding me about the Cappuccino & Date Slice recipe - it looks very easy to make and I would think, equally as delicious to eat so I must try making it soon. :-))

elliehen, Feb 4, 8:34am
annie.nz (or 245sam)... . Could you please post the date loaf for me, or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

245sam, Feb 4, 8:41am
Here you are elliehen... . .

DATE LOAF
1 cup each of dates and boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Place the dates in a bowl, then pour the boiling water over and sprinkle the baking soda over. Cover the bowl and leave until cold (overnight is ok).
Mix the brown sugar and butter, then add the egg and beat together until thick and spongy. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, alternately with the date mixture. Place in a greased loaf tin.
Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour.
Variation: For a nice mixed fruit and nut loaf add, with the dates, about ½ cup sultanas and a few chopped nuts. :-))

This recipe and many more can be found at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=15&t=613

sooseque, Feb 4, 9:16am
White Christmas Rocky Road
110g white marshmallows, roughly chopped
220g mint or lemon flavoured Turkish delight, roughly chopped
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, lightly toasted in oven & roughly chopped
1/4 cup blanched almonds, lightly toasted in oven & roughly chopped
1/4 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra to sprinkle
240g white chocolate (Cadbury Dream works well)
Line 17cm x 27cm baking tin with baking paper, allowing the paper to extend about 3cm over the sides. In a large bowl combine the marshmallows, Turkish delight, nuts and coconut. Gently melt the chocolate over a double boiler or carefully in the microwave, thenworking very quickly spoon a layer of chocolate over the lined base of the tin. Quickly fold the remaining chocolate into the marshmallow mix, place the mix over the chocolate layer pushing it down firmly with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with the extra coconut. Refrigerate
at least 4 hours or overnight if possible, cut into bite sized pieces.

elliehen, Feb 4, 9:40am
Thanks so much 245sam. Have been looking for a good date loaf. Dates are a great sweet - always put a dollop of date and lemon zest paste on my rolled oats porridge in the winter :)

annie.nz, Feb 4, 7:55pm
Thankyou sooseque! Great!
Have a good one :)

nzhel, Feb 17, 12:45am
Thanks so much 245sam
for the Cappuccino & Date Slice recipe - made it yesterday and it is utterly divine - highly recommend and I will be making it often!

245sam, Feb 17, 12:53am
you're welcome nzhel - I'm pleased that you've used the recipe and tried and enjoyed the slice - it's on my mental to-try-asap list so I hope we enjoy it as much as you obviously do/did, and thanks for the feedback. :-))

nzhel, Feb 17, 1:01am
I'm sure you will love it - I'm just a little worried 'the thighs' might enjoy it even a little more - I don't think it will be the Weight Watchers recipe list somehow - but it is very yummy!

245sam, Aug 14, 1:47am
Oh dear nzhel, the thighs as well as the hips and waistline! ! ! ! ! - everything in moderation I suppose. :-))