Pikelet help

carriebradshaw, Feb 16, 2:53am
I've just made pikelets. I couldn't find my usual recipe so went online and got the edmonds recipe.
Well, they've turned out quite rubbery and heavy. Not light and fluffy how they should be. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and if you have a great recipe would you be willing to share it. Thanks

cookessentials, Feb 16, 3:07am
I dont ever use the Edmonds one for that very reason. if i can find the cooking class 101 thread, i shall bump it up for you as my one with cream of tartar is on there and they turn out beautifully light, it is my Mum's recipe from at least the 1960's

cookessentials, Feb 16, 3:09am
Here it is for you under my brianmac username.
PIKELETS This wonderful recipe has been around since the 60's (or earlier) when my Mum used to make these. I remember her using the solid element on the stove top and using greaseproof paper and butter to grease the hotplate(can almost smell them now! ! )
2 eggs;3 tbsp caster sugar;1 1/2 cups plain flour;2 tsp cream of tartar;1 tsp of soda;1/2 teacup of milk (I use more as the mixture is quite thick)salt;1 tbsp melted butter. Sift flour and cream of tartar. Beat eggs and sugar well, then work in flour, adding milk in which b soda has been dissolved. :astly, add melted butter. TIP: pour mixture off the end of your spoon to get nice round pikelets.

Quotebrianmac (129

carriebradshaw, Feb 16, 3:10am
Thanks so much.

eastie3, Feb 16, 4:00am
Agree, I think Edmonds is overrated for some recipes, and pikelets is one of them.

bex32, Feb 16, 8:06am
Wow, just made your recipe, cookessentials, awesome! They are so light and fluffy! Much better than the ones I usually make :)

cookessentials, Aug 11, 5:47pm
Glad you like them. There is also my recipe for pancakes on the cooking class 101 thread and they are lovely too... today being Shrove Tuesday is the perfect day to make them! They are lovely layered with butter, lemon juice and caster sugar - the BEST way to have them