Turmeric. It's not hard to say:

Page 1 / 2
schnauzer11, Jul 9, 11:40am
What's with everyone suddenly leaving out the first 'R'? Even MKR judges are bleating about Choomeric., or if feeling very posh, Tyoomeric.I've been cooking with the stuff for nearly 40 years, but now it's got a new following it appears to have a new, mis-pronounced name.It's Turm, sounds like Firm.

sampa, Jul 9, 11:59am
Perhaps they're attempting to find a new name to patent it under (re medicinal healing properties) as happened back in 1995.

mjhdeal, Jul 9, 4:22pm
I don't watch cooking shows, so I don't know where I got my pronunciation from, but confess I leave out the first 'r.' Actually, whenever I type it into google, I always forget to put in the first 'r' so that might have something to do with it. It's spelt wrong in my head.

sampa, Jul 9, 8:56pm
It appears that it's a slight variance in pronunciation depending on country of origin of speaker (as so many things are).

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/british/turmeric

A sure case of 'tomayto, tomahto' lol - least it tastes the same no matter how you say it. :)

rainrain1, Jul 9, 10:46pm
I have never ever noticed the spelling, I would have always spelt it tumeric whenever I've written it ha de ha ha whadda ya know

westward1, Jul 9, 11:19pm
The same as people calling cumin, come in. Drives me mad.

sampa, Jul 9, 11:42pm
Probably shouldn't mention oregano lol.

westward1, Jul 9, 11:52pm
Oregano," or rag an o" as the American's pronounce it. Cilantro instead of coriander. I personally think cilantro is a lovely word.

buzzy110, Jul 10, 2:27am
That gets my back up to. As does orie-garno which sounds so clumsy. I know that is probably correct but I do like the way "or reg ano" trips easily of the tongue.

I guess the "choomeric" version comes from those who pronouce tuna as "choona" instead of "too na". Both ways are probably right, once again, but I just hate "choona". It sounds like a stereo component, as in tuner, when it is a fish they are talking about.

annies3, Jul 10, 2:46am
Well till just recently I thought Turmeric was spelled without the first r.
my Mum used to pronounce it that way, maybe it has had a change, its hard to correct habits of 60/70 years.
Apparently not but this explains a lot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

sampa, Jul 10, 2:54am
W(h)anganui lol.

nilaveli, Jul 10, 3:30am
What happens if you say it / spell it wrong? Do you get double zombied or something?

westward1, Jul 10, 3:57am
Buzzy, how funny you should bring up Choona, how does anyone misconstrue tuna for choona. Yet, that's how so many people pronounce it.

sampa, Jul 10, 4:01am

nauru, Jul 10, 5:48am
It's hearing American's saying "erbs" instead of "herbs" that I find annoying. Why can't they pronounce it correctly.

wendalls, Jul 10, 8:45am
Westward, Because most tu words are pronounced chew in our English, and correctly so as Sampa has shown. Tune, tulip, Tuesday, intuitive. Tutu is the only one exception I can think of hence chewna.
Ora garno, termuric, queue min. I agree cilantro sounds nice.
What bothers me is the prime minister saying " nukular" instead of " nuclear"!
I think for those of us who have strived to sound out every word correctly from first experiences with it, and have a sort of pride in getting it right, we possibly judge others for not doing the same. I couldn't stand the Aussies saying " hayche" for h when I lived there.
And Don't forget "pronunciation" is nun not noun!

eljayv, Jul 10, 9:03am
And prime minister saying oshtralya. seems to have difficulty with any st words .

eastie3, Jul 10, 10:40am
I do miss elliehen!

mjhdeal, Jul 10, 3:39pm
Yeah, 'erb' sounds horrible, BUT! Apparently in the 1700s in England, anything and everything French was massively fashionable, and people even took up French pronunciations of words, like 'erb.'

Then a bunch of them ran off to America, and took their 1700s ways with them, and some of persist to this day. That includes what we consider to be 'Americanised' spellings - actually just old-fashioned English.
History lesson concluded, now time for play lunch.

westward1, Jul 10, 10:10pm
For years I always said "Lets take this root" then I thought about the words spelling being route, and thought my pronunciation is not correct. You will never hear an American chat about their root. whoops, I don't think sounds right. My mother always said quishon. People don't probably think about it, it's what their parents said, so a kid follows that example.

rainrain1, Jul 10, 11:26pm
My pet hate is constable pronounced with a cu. right way or wrong way, it's a bad one. All the announcers say it.

samanya, Jul 10, 11:36pm
You made me think about how I pronounce the 'tu' words & I don't ever use the 'chew' version. I guess it's as others say . depends on how we learned from our parents.
Not cooking related, but I can't stand the use of 'congradulations' which seems to be trendy atm.

kaddiew, Jul 10, 11:51pm
That's just downright lazy speech. Same as the voice over woman for. Burger King?. who boasts about their "beef paddies".

karlymouse, Jul 11, 1:43am
My best friend at school used to say 'chimlies' for chimneys and 'mary' for maori . I hope she has correct those two :)

kaddiew, Jul 11, 3:09am
One that really irritates me is the 'satisfied customer' on a pillow ad who states that prior to the purchase she had to see a "kai-a-practa reg-ya-lee".

Sorry, off topic!