Scales

I make bread using a set of Wiltshire electronic scales. Occasionally I make a mistake (eg) 230g instead of 320. Also they have reset to zero on me leaving me unsure if I put enough white flower in. I make the same recipe over and over so I tend to be working fast.
Today as I put the mix on top of the liquid it didn't look bulky enough and although it has made a ball seems to collapse quickly; I'll know in 3 hours.
These scales have a sequence mechanism ml to gm etc and I would prefer a button? I think (over all) I would prefer old fashioned weight scales?

Chef_jh34, Aug 1, 9:22 am

You can pick up the old fashioned scales from Briscoes, living and giving, stevens, etc.

I have some, and some electronic ones. For larger baking stuff, the mechanical ones are more practical, imo.

Chef_twelve12, Aug 1, 10:07 am

The main thing with electronic scales are the batteries, if been used a while or starting to be a bit old then they can and will give false readings.

Best to replace these quite regularly more so if you use the scales a lot or use the scales once every 6 months or so plus.

Cheers

Chef_valentino, Aug 1, 10:11 am

Personally I prefer electronic scales. More accurate. My fist one were Salter, up to 2 kg, were very simple, accurate and durable, I had it for more than ten years and only upgraded to similar Tanita bread baking scales
(up to 3kg) a few years ago, because more capacity and larger display. They also have micro-scale option, which I use a lot for salt and yeast, stainless steel removable plate, liquid measurements (milk and water). I use these scales 90% for bread baking. The only difference from Salter is that plastic seems to be more gentle, not as resistant to scratches as Salter's. Never had any issues with batteries.

Chef_lenart, Aug 1, 1:02 pm

The bread came out ok thankfully. I put some curry in it. maybe I'll add chilli next time?

Chef_jh34, Jan 29, 3:03 pm

Share this thread