Scales

jh34, Jul 31, 9:22pm
I make bread using a set of Wiltshire electronic scales. Occasionally I make a mistake (eg) 230g instead of 320. Also they have reset to zero on me leaving me unsure if I put enough white flower in. I make the same recipe over and over so I tend to be working fast.
Today as I put the mix on top of the liquid it didn't look bulky enough and although it has made a ball seems to collapse quickly; I'll know in 3 hours.
These scales have a sequence mechanism ml to gm etc and I would prefer a button? I think (over all) I would prefer old fashioned weight scales?

twelve12, Jul 31, 10:07pm
You can pick up the old fashioned scales from Briscoes, living and giving, stevens, etc.

I have some, and some electronic ones. For larger baking stuff, the mechanical ones are more practical, imo.

valentino, Jul 31, 10:11pm
The main thing with electronic scales are the batteries, if been used a while or starting to be a bit old then they can and will give false readings.

Best to replace these quite regularly more so if you use the scales a lot or use the scales once every 6 months or so plus.

Cheers

lenart, Aug 1, 1:02am
Personally I prefer electronic scales. More accurate. My fist one were Salter, up to 2 kg, were very simple, accurate and durable, I had it for more than ten years and only upgraded to similar Tanita bread baking scales
(up to 3kg) a few years ago, because more capacity and larger display. They also have micro-scale option, which I use a lot for salt and yeast, stainless steel removable plate, liquid measurements (milk and water). I use these scales 90% for bread baking. The only difference from Salter is that plastic seems to be more gentle, not as resistant to scratches as Salter's. Never had any issues with batteries.

jh34, Jan 29, 2:03am
The bread came out ok thankfully. I put some curry in it. maybe I'll add chilli next time?